1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Channels don't SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bsandy, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bsandy

bsandy New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Just added a home theatre in my basement. DirecTV came an re-wired my house, installed something in my dish and now I have a SWM system.

Since then I have had poor local chanel (through the dish) performance. Faces look washed out and scenes with lots of motion in them blur with tiny pixelation in the areas that are moving. I do not remember this before SWM.

The problem is apparent on two of my receivers (an HR20 100 and an HR24).

The opening scene of Hawaii Five-0 looked like a digital mess on my 160" projection screen and my 40" LCD. On ABC Nightly News last night, Diane Sawyer looked like she just came from the undertaker. Face shots are very splotchy(sp?).

Is this a known issue?

A DirecTV tech is coming Saturday. Is he just going to throw his hands up in disgust?

Is DirecTV compressing the Locals too much?

I'm installing an OTA antenna tonight to compare. How close should they be?

Bud from East Peoria, IL.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    How is the received connected to the TV? Is it only locals? How do the other channels look? Are you sure you're watching the HD version of the channels?

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    No & no

4. bsandy

bsandy New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Downstairs:
    HR20 100 -> 6ft HDMI -> Sony HTSS380 -> 15ft HDMI -> Epson 705HD

Upstairs:
    HR24 -> 6ft HDMI -> 40" Samsung LCD

I have the same problem with both setups.

I've only noticed it on the locals.

Non-Locals look like they did before.

Yes. DirecTV only sends my locals in HD. Problem happens with both 720p (Fox) broadcasts and 1080i (CBS) broadcasts.

. . . Bud

5. bsandy

bsandy New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Okay . . .

Hooked up an enternal antenna to my HR20-100, last night. Recorded Survivor on both the OTA and Sat channels. No Difference.

Either CBS, My Local CBS or my DVR is sucking the life out of the 1080i pictures.

. . . Bud

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    How do the locals look on the Samsung's ATSC off air tuner?

7. bsandy

bsandy New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Good Idea . . . Will test tonight.

Just spent my whole lunch on the phone with DirecTV. It seems as though the installer did not include all the equipment to hook my HR20 to the Whole Home DVR.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Don't tell me ... the tech didn't include the equipment for the special hook up for the HR20-100 did he?

[​IMG]

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Wonder if it was the same tech who wanted to hook up DECA units to my buddies H24s?

I haven't noticed our locals being any worse than normal lately. The few times I have done a comparison I haven't seen much of a difference in quality between DirecTV's local channels an the ones I get OTA through my AM21s, or my TV's tuners.

Some of our locals are pretty bad all the time, and ABC is usually the worst (not sure if it's because of The CW, or if they just stink).