1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local channels not included

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by philtec, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1 of 32
    philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    I received an email today about my 'personalized account snapshot'.
    I have the 'XTRA 205+ digital channels' package that is no longer available. (grandfathered in till I change) [only 5 more channels than what is offered now]
    When I click on the link 'upgrade package', every package now says 'local channels not included'.
    How much are they charging new signups for locals?
    Is this DTVs' way to get more out of us or what?

2. Oct 3, 2013 #2 of 32
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    FYI, XTRA 205+ is a current package and it is listed on their website. Choice Xtra would be an obsolete version of that package and it was also a 205+ channel package.

Unless they aren't available in the potential subscriber's market, local channels are included in all packages and DIRECTV does not allow one to opt out. In the event that LIL are not available, I recall there may be a $3 discount.

I would also note that DIRECTV hasn't been maintaining their LIL list on their website as it lists only 150 markets served.

3. Oct 3, 2013 #3 of 32
    philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    You are correct.
    I was not signed in to my account when I first clicked 'upgrade package'.
    After I signed in, the page changed and it had locals included with every tier.
    Thanks for your reply!

4. Oct 4, 2013 #4 of 32
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I will tell you that I don't have local channels.. and they became available oh about 8 years ago.. and it says on my bill Total choice plus,, the original one.. and trust me , even when they upgraded me and my units, the locals didn't come on, nor am I paying for them.. so don't say " you must have them".. that's not the case..

5. Oct 4, 2013 #5 of 32
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    let me say that each time I call in I get a recording" do you want to add local channels?" in fact about 2 years ago.. during a routine call to D*, I was asked if I wanted "VIP" channels".. .WHOA... what exactly are VIP CHANNELS? well they are very special, cuz they are just for YOU and YOUR LOCAL AREA... in fact I was so stunned, that I wrote to joshjr about it.. ( since he is the board expert on local and distant channels).. wow.. they almost had me on that one. . VIP CHANNELS.. DO YOU HAVE THOSE AS WELL? .. I don't..

6. Oct 4, 2013 #6 of 32
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    there are about 3 weeks of the year, where my locals don't meet my needs.. and it always revolves around not seeing the Packers.. each and every other day, my distant networks more then meet my needs..

7. Oct 7, 2013 #7 of 32
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you were to bring yourself to a current programming package, that would likely change. Grandfathering is largely about not having to accept what others are forced to do.

8. Oct 7, 2013 #8 of 32
    CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    Looks like Bend Oregon is losing half of the Local Channels that Directv just started carrying, less than a year ago. A contract dispute over NBC,FOX, CW. Do they still charge you for the Local Programming if it goes away?

9. Oct 7, 2013 #9 of 32
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    If you are getting the CBS and or the ABC local channel then yes they would still charge the same rate.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If it all went away, they wouldn't charge. The disputes typically don't run long enough to cause a major hardship, but if you're in a bind and you have an HRxx and access to broadcast signals you might try asking for an OTA tuner module.

11. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    well this was one of the two or three weeks per year, that I wish I had my local channels.. I could not believe that the Packers weren't chosen over the Chiefs game.. how does CBS not make the Packers as a team that "they want you to see"? they are only broadcasting they at most one or two more times.. Normally they we would be a ''game of the week'.. cudos to Kansas City by making it 7 in row..

12. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Packers sux - GO BENGALS!!

13. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Why not get a AM21 and antenna of some sort?

14. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Get a clue...lets bet on the likelihood of those Bengals going to the Super Bowl.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    1:40?

16. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I have an extremely high hill or 'bluff' in my backyard.. I went to the local D* dealer today.. the girl working behind the counter had little or no clue about real D*.. one, she didn't sell any antennas.. nor any am21's.. nor did she even know what Shevra was.. it was like talking to a voice message on a phone.. I don't understand you.. I don't know what that is... we don't have it.. what was that? you wouldn't want to say that they were your "local dealer" but they were..

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Just call DirecTV and see if they will send you a free AM21. I would never ask them what you will need for an antenna. No way they would know, probably not even locally.

18. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    even if i got an AM21.. that wouldn't mean I would get the local cbs channel would it? btw, I am also very very glad, that the same company that I spoke to, is NOT the local D* factory installer around here..

19. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    How far are you from your dma's stations?

20. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    18 miles due north..