1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gaz, Aug 28, 2010.

1. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    My area is due to receive local channels in September. It is now August 28 and there has been nothing from Direct TV to indicate we will receive local channels. To me, that seems ridiculous. I would think customers would be advised at least a month in advance. Does anyone out there know how long Direct tv will send out this information in advance?:(

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They wont, they will just turn them on. If you want a date, call your local station's engineer, he will know.

3. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Directv announced back in May that they would be adding locals or upgrading locals to HD in 16 new markets starting in June. They indicated that the rollout would be complete by the end of the year.

Is your market one of those on the list?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6820019

I don't think they pre-announce too many hard and fast dates for these in case there are technical issues with finishing up the feed from the local station. There have been times in the past when they have slipped a week or two or that last minute contract negotiations have held things up.

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    When my locals launched earlier this month, my local stations only knew the month. DirecTV didn't inform them of a date.

An installer told me that they didn't find out locals had launched until the DAY they were launched. They had no clue about it the night before...

~Alan

5. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Yes Alan, but then remember, in your next of the woods they just added color!!!:lol::lol:

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    gaz,

A local installer was told earlier this year that it'd be the end of September. It's possible that it may have changed since then, but I nobody knows right now. So far, the Columbus, GA LIL has yet to be uplinked for testing, so it probably won't be next week.

I also recommend you join the Message Board over at ColumbusDTV.org as well. I'm a Moderator over there, and news MAY be posted there at any time.

~Alan

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    True... and apparently we didn't even rate a Press Release on DirecTV's website... :(

~Alan

8. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    So no one here in this great forum has a clue if any/all of the LILs planned for Sept 2010 are still on schedule to be launched next month

9. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Mreposter's link is the best we can do... DirecTV gives next to zero warning of upcoming changes.

10. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks...do they notify us by mail or anything once the locals are available?

11. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I'm sure there's several who do, but unless DirecTV changes their list, odds are, they are still on for September.

~Alan

12. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Actually, mreposter's link is to a press release, that while informative, is somewhat out of date. The link I just posted has been updated SEVERAL times since that press release came out... including adding additional DMAs coming next year, and several DMAs getting their launch moved up to September from October.

I have yet to get any mail... or see ANY advertisements...

You'll probably either see them in your GUIDE first (if you have your channel list set to ALL CHANNELS) one Wednesday morning, OR hear it here first! :)

~Alan

13. thelucky1

thelucky1 Icon

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks for the info!

14. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Sometimes doctorj or Sixto will see test channels in the guide stream up to a week or two beforehand. And sometimes satelliteracer will let us know ahead of time.

15. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Why would you need a month's notice before channels are added?

Maybe I'm obtuse but that seems like a strange request.

16. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    Thanks for the information. that's not surprising. As a long time subscriber of Direct TV, I've learned not to expect too much from that bunch.

17. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    Dish has offered locals in the Auburn area for at least 2 months. I've been reading that Dish also offers more HD on regular channels than Direct TV which tends to emphasize HD on their pay per view channels as well as Showtime and HBO. Now might not be a bad time to take advantage of Dish's introductory offer.;)

18. Hooterville

Hooterville AllStar

Jul 11, 2010
    gaz, any local channel action over there yet?

None here :(

19. gaz

gaz Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    Nothing happening over here. I suspect if locals are indeed made available here it will be toward the end of this month. If don't receive them in Sept, I'm moving to dish.:(

20. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Depends...could be mail, email or even automated telephone message. D* waits until the market is launched just to be safe. Sometimes markets can be delayed at the last minute and it's better to make sure everything is launched.

Nice segue, some of the locals that were going to launch in September will likely be delayed slightly. I believe a few markets like Columbus, GA and Montgomery, AL could be delayed slightly. Haven't heard of an approximate date yet but the DIRECTV website will be updated shortly with the changing information.