1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Fox being letterboxed, OTA fine

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by uwhumpty, Feb 3, 2009.

1. uwhumpty

uwhumpty Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Sioux City, IA
    I am currently watching Fringe on Fox 28 in the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo market, and the DirecTV feed is being letterboxed (black bars on all four sides). I remembered that this happened on last weeks episode as well, and decided to check the OTA feed (which I have had turned off since we got our HD locals). The OTA feed is the full 16:9 HD. Anyone else in this market noticing this?
    If I remember correctly, this has only been happening for the last couple of weeks. Who should I contact about this, the local Fox station, or DirecTV?

2. willis134

willis134 AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Iowa
    I have had the same problem. Based on my recordings it started last tuesday (the 27th). Just got off the phone with an engineer at KFXA, He says everything is fine on their end. He has received several calls about it and is working with Directv to fix the problem.

3. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    The term for black bars on all four sides is commonly called "Windowboxing".
    Black bars on the sides is called "Pillar Boxing".
    Black bars on the top and bottom is called "Letterboxing".

Just helping you out for future reference. :)

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If I understand this correctly;

Wouldn't this particular window-box be caused by a letterboxing (for whatever reason, accident or otherwise) someplace likely in DirecTV’s signal chain, of the already 16:9 formatted HD picture from KFXA?

5. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    The way you normally get "windowboxing" is when you have 16:9 program broadcast inside a 4:3 signal (causing letterboxing on a 4:3 display) which is being displayed on a 16:9 TV (which causes pillarboxing) so the aggregate appears to be windowboxed.