1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local HD channels (time frame changes)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mattquaker2, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 6, 2006 #1 of 15
    mattquaker2

mattquaker2 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I called Directv yesterday and asked about the HD local channels in Fort Myers, which were originally scheduled for "Late 2006." After being passed around from CSR to CSR and finally retention, I was told that the projected date in the computer is now "LATE 2007." The retention agent also said that a few of the other local markets had the same change in time frame. I pulled up online the press release from Directv saying Fort Myers was to come online by "late 2006" and I got the whole "since you're an A-list customer, and we're very sorry, we're going to give you 6 months free on your local channels" BS. Anyone have any idea how they could be a year off in their timing for this issue?

2. Dec 6, 2006 #2 of 15
    EZ-GUY

EZ-GUY New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    That is awful. Will they say Late 2008 next year at this time?

3. Dec 6, 2006 #3 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Most of the time it has something to do with an inability to come to agreement with the local stations. If they can't get at least two stations to sign off, they'll probably move on to a more friendly market.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #4 of 15
    mattquaker2

mattquaker2 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I did go out and buy a HR20 from Best Buy (Directv was out of stock) in order to recieve my HD locals, and since I knew I was getting them, I didn't have the installers who wired my new house install cables for a OTA antenna. Since it's a two story, I'm not going to be able to do it myself in all honesty. I don't even know who I could get to come out and do the work. Plus, I'll need to get an ugly OTA antenna on my new house. And then there's the point that OTA, though coming soon, isn't even availible on the HR20.

It just seems crazy that two months after sending out an official press release, a date can be pushed back a YEAR!

5. Dec 6, 2006 #5 of 15
    mattquaker2

mattquaker2 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I would call if I where someone that was on the list for new HD locals this year. You may get some bad news from Directv like me.

6. Dec 6, 2006 #6 of 15
    beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Maybe they couldn't secure retransmission agreements? Hearst-Argyle is a bitch when it comes to locals.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #7 of 15
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Haerst-Argyle? That's why! It's the whole Lifetime/E* flap thing... that must be why they're getting passed by.

8. Dec 7, 2006 #8 of 15
    mattquaker2

mattquaker2 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Haerst-Argyle? Sorry, I'm a little new here, what's the beef with them? Do they own all the stations in Fort Myers? And if there was a known beef, why tell your customers they would have high def by the end of this year?

9. Dec 7, 2006 #9 of 15
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Hearst-Argyle owns Lifetime Networks. E* had a contract dispute with them early this year. D* and Lifetime had agreed on a promotion to give a credit to any E* subscriber that switched to D* because of the loss of the Lifetime networks. One or two days after the promotion was announced, Hearst-Argyle settled with E* and began to act as if they had never heard of the promotion. D* has sued Hearst-Argyle for breach of contract. The legal wranglings are still going on.

As for why they announced Ft. Myers... perhaps the people choosing the HD LiL markets thought the lawsuit was near settlement?

10. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Right now the largest impediment for DirecTV regarding HD local channels is LIN Broadcasting. It appears DirecTV does not have a contract with LIN at this time, and it is affecting the big four network in these current markets:

Indianapolis
    Hartford
    Grand Rapids
    Providence
    Austin
    Green Bay

LIN will also hold up some planned markets:

Norfolk
    Albuquerque
    Buffalo
    Mobile
    Toledo

Hearst-Argyle is not a problem. Every big four network station they own or operate is currently available in the markets they serve.

One of the larger problems with the HD local rollout right now appears to be setting up the backhauls. It appears to be why the rollout schedule always slips.

11. mattquaker2

mattquaker2 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Thanks for the update, but "slips" is a really nice way of saying "you're screwed for a year." Is there anyway this information I am being fed by the CSR's is bad? (not the first time this happenend.)

12. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    LIN could actually be the culprit behind the rescheduling of Norfolk/Newport News, Va. to "Late 2007" according to 3 different people in Retention. It was slated for activation in "Early December" but has just changed within the last few days. LIN does own the local NBC (WAVY10 & WVBT 43), but i would think they could still launch with the others. Not a good possibility, it seems, at this point. :nono2:

13. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    LIN owns both the CBS and FOX affiliates in Albuquerque... I get FOX with E* as they put the HD Locals up before the sale... Bad news since I lost all CBSHD available in the last year or so with both providers..

14. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    What about Harrisburg, PA?

15. gator22

gator22 Mentor

Oct 2, 2006
    Talked to a CSR yesterday and he told me that Buffalo was pushed back until early to mid January. Not to bad, but not what there web site says either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.