1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local HD Signal issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DGF9600, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2007 #1 of 10
    DGF9600

DGF9600 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    My local HD channels have coming and going throughout the day. This is a recent problem within the past 6 weeks or so. I receive my SD locals without problem.

The receiver is the directv HR20-700. I have the dual tuner turned on. I also have a Hughes DVR40 in the master bedroom.

I have tried the standard reset the receiver. Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes not. There is no line of sight problem with trees or weather. The problem will occur on a sunny day and there are no tall trees in my neighborhood.

On SAT 101 I am receiving high 80's and 90's on all transponders except, 4, 12, and 20 for both tuners.

On SAT 110 I am receiving 89 and 91 on both tuners.

On SAT 119 I am receiving 90's except for transponder 23 and 31.

ON SAT 99(b) Tuner 1is 0, while Tuner 2 is 37, 79, 27, 85, 28, 85 (Transponder strengths)

On SAT 103(a) Tuner 1 us 0, while Tuner 2 is 91, 0, 91, 0, 91, 0, 0 (Transponder strengths)

From reading the forums SAT 99 and 103 are the HD channels, correct? I have not been having the problem on the national HD channels (72-79), only my local channels.

I did not have the b band converters on until last night. I installed them hoping to make a difference.

I have a technician coming Tuesday afternoon (June 5, 2007), but I always like to point out possible causes and solutions.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Jun 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    Rathmir

Rathmir Mentor

May 2, 2007
    I'd start with swapping the cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2. As long as tuner 1 is getting the signals from 99 and 103 the local hd channels should come in (at least part of the time). You also need to have the b band converters on at all times or they won't come in at all and you will not receiver any of the new hd channels as they become available.

3. Jun 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    ON SAT 99(b) Tuner 1is 0, while Tuner 2 is 37, 79, 27, 85, 28, 85 (Transponder strengths)

On SAT 103(a) Tuner 1 us 0, while Tuner 2 is 91, 0, 91, 0, 91, 0, 0 (Transponder strengths)

I think this should point you to the problem.
    Switching cables will show if there is a cable feed problem [if it changes then is in the cable & if it doesn't then it points to the receiver].
    Right now the BBC has nothing to do with anything, as they will be used for the new SATs, but there is nothing now.

4. Jun 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    DGF9600

DGF9600 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I switched the cables as suggested. The signal strengths have now switched to Tuner 2 being the problem and Tuner 1 being ok. So it looks like it is point to the cabling.

But why would the SD channels be ok? I was not having the issue on any SD channels that I normally watch?

Also could the problem be related to the Multiplexer, or maybe the LNB on the Dish that that is sending HD signal to the cables? If I recall correctly there are 4 coaxial cables coming from the dish to the multiplexer.

Thanks again.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You only list 2 receivers so you shouldn't have a multiswitch in your setup. The 4 lines should go directly to your four receiver inputs.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    DGF9600

DGF9600 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    You are rigtht. I called home there is no box. A simple connector of 4 coaxials in fromm the dish and 3 coaxials out to the boxes.

2 coaxials to the HD DVR and 1 to the master bedroom.

7. Jun 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    SD comes in at 950-1450 MHz, and HD locals come in at 1650-2150 MHz.
    Sounds like you have a bad cable for the higher frequencies.
    You do have a multi-switch, but it's the one that's part of the dish [giving you the four outputs].
    So it isn't the receiver, most likely the cable and lastly the dish.

8. Jun 5, 2007 #8 of 10
    DGF9600

DGF9600 Cool Member

Jun 3, 2007
    The technician's solution was to check everything including the dish position. He concluded I had a bad B band converter connected to the receiver.

I recently added the B band converters as suggested by another forum. I never installed the converters based upon the technician's consultation in November during the original HD install. He indicated Directv was still working out the kinks in their system in preparation of the new satellites and recommended not to install until closer to the launch.

I installed the converter in an attempt to improve the reception of the HD locals during the odd times. I thought might as well try these out. Apparently at the time of my purchase Directv was sending the B band converters in smaller boxes with the coaxial wire bent over. This may have damaged the wire enough to prevent proper distribution of the HD local channel signal to the receiver. I was informed by "veryoldschool" that the HD locals is transmitted on another frequency than the other HD national channels.

The technician informed my wife the Directv is now sending the B band converters in a larger box to prevent damage.

I don't know if this will be the solution to the periodic in and out reception of the HD local stations (during clear weather), however we will see what happens.

I will also say in order to have Direct to come out and fix the problem they offered a $70 (or $75) service call or enrollment into the protection plan (about equal cost for a year's protection). I selected the plan, but am slightly disappointed that it was very small component supposedly causing the problem. If you are in similar situation, you may want to request a B band converter to be exchanged without a service call.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. Hopefully it will work out for you. I am excited of the prospect of increased HD channels

9. Jun 5, 2007 #9 of 10
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Did you try it without the convertors? They are not needed right now

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Agree..if you have any problems: step one should be to remove the BBC [as they aren't needed now]. After solving your problem, then install the BBC to prove it does function [well not hurt your signals].
    The boxing of the BBCs wasn't done correctly at first [yes the bends can damage the cables] so it's good to see there is an improvement with them now.

HD locals come in the 1650-2150 MHz band, so this will "show" any problems with your cabling that might not show up with the "normal" channels [950-1450 MHz band].

The higher the frequencies the more "funny" the coax can be. Loose connectors, too many connectors, will cause more problems in these frequencies than the lower ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.