1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

local insert break up on "cable" channels--not locals.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Matt L, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Have an issue, called D about it but was not satisfied with answer. If I'm watching a higher number channel, NOT locals, say TNT 245 and they cut to a local ad insert, more often than not my picture breaks up and freezes. I can turn my TV on and find it frozen for 2, 3 or4 hours. Hit FF or REW and it starts playing normally. Can they possibly be switching SAT feed for local inserts? Last I looked I had good signal levels on all transponders. I notice this mainly on my HR24's, don't recall it happening on my HR20's. Have a SWM setup.

I have to believe the issue is on their end. they wanted to send a tech out, but I declined, do not want to waste a day waiting around.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It is an issue on their end, I have seen it reported before but not freezing for hours. They are not doing anything to the sat feed, local spots are stored on the reserved portion of the hard drive (this does NOT affect your recording space) and inserted when a local avail comes up. If you rewind you will probably see the national spot that runs at that time for anybody that doesn't have local spots sold. There is really nothing they can do other than replace the DVR so unless you have little recorded and unwatched I would not worry about it at this time

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I actually just tried it - I rewound a local spot on a national channel after the commercial break was over. It showed the local commercial when I rewound it.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The inserts do not change satellite feeds, they insert content from the DVR over the satellite feed. And then return to the satellite feed in progress. When everything works right.

5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    This got so bad on one of my hr24's I had to have it replaced (a -500 model). I've had no such problem with my two -200's. Unfortunatly, the replacement was yet another -500, and it worked fine for some 4 months and has now started to do the same thing. If it keeps it up, I'll have to get yet another replacement.

6. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks for the clarification, had no idea it was downloaded to the drive. Makes me wonder if it's the drive going bad, or just poor implementation.

Any idea which transponder the feed come from? I did check my signal and it's a tad low on some. 101 feeds are all mid to upper 90's, others a bit lower low 90's and upper 80's. Been giving some thought to relocating my dish before winter hits, it's on the second story roof and even though I have a deck below it, when the snow is problematic, it's problematic to climb up the roof to get to the dish to shake off the snow.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The ad pushes are scattered across multiple transponders and satellites on hidden channels in the 8000s on 103ca TPNs 20, 21 and 24 and 103cb TPN 11

8. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Interesting. I just rechecked my signal level on those TPNs - 79-83 + 11. Wonder if I need to tweak my dish position a bit to help overcome this issue.

9. omartinjordan

omartinjordan AllStar

Mar 25, 2013
    Mine does the same thing. The replaced the box and the new one does it also. Sometimes when I come home and turn on the TV I can hear live TV but the picture is stuck on some commercial. If I rewind for just a second it goes back to normal. I can fast forward to real time and it plays fine. I wish I could get it fixed but I don't think have resolved the issue.

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Those signal levels are fine, digital is all or nothing and you don't lose signal on those transponders until it drops to around 20. You could improve things by tweaking but it can't be leading to this issue because the received commercials are written to your hard drive and played back. It isn't doing it live, so even if just those TPNs were blocked completely it wouldn't account for what you're seeing.

11. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    So are my signal levels, but rarely does simply FF or RWD fix it, the only 'easy' way is to jump to another channel and jump back (of course, this means that any saved part of the program that one was on is lost).

At this point, appears to be yet another programming error, either in the DVR box or at the system level, as I've noted that it happens on the same ad just about every time (although it could be a bad uploaded ad as well, since it could be corrupted when it was sent back whenever). There ought to be a function where one could erase all the 'saved' ads off your dvr, and cause it to re-load them. I could see that happening if the ad insertion came from an upload site that was having a 'rain event' or some such, and they don't have programming that would check if the download CRC was good.
    If it keeps doing this, I'll have to have a long serious talk with someone at DTV, IF I can get them to respond.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The freezing for hours thing would be enough to make me wonder if he has a bad HDD.

Rich

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I finally decided ty o call dtv on this issue this last friday, talked to a 2nd tier engineer, and got an appt. for a trch to come out snd take a look at my system (for this thursday).

But, I had recorded a couple of 'freezes' on the dvr with the problem (and at the same time on another hr24 without the problem) and guess what I discover today in playing those back...? The local inserts are gone, erased from history, replaced by the national ads. Apparently the 'flag' that trips the local ad now sees that the ad is missing off the hd drive so it reverts to the national.

Now, who could have erased those? Or do they have a time-out set to erase themselves? I was watching cnn this afternoon and there were tons of local ads (no freezes) so that's still going gangbusters.

So it looks like those local insertions have only a set run time, and if you record that program and then play back later on past the 'window' they are supposed to run at, you get the generic national ad and not the local.

Very interesting. But now I don't have anything to show the tech when they come, although I'll keep a watch out for freezes snd try and capture some more (fyi I had already had 3 but they are all 'dissapeared').

14. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I expect ads are purchased with a date range or number of showings built in.

In this case some, may have been found to be poorly coded such that they caused your problem and so were pulled.