1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Installer Problems / D* Compensation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mwalter, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mwalter

mwalter New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I have spent 2 half days and one full day waiting for an installer to simply replace an old dish with a new one so I can get HD channels. After they did not show up the first time, D* credited my account for $100. The local installer has now blown me off on three different occasions in the last week. I'm about to call D* back again to try and get the installer to show up. What has been the typical compensation D* has given out for these kinds of problems?

Note: The D* CSRs have been helpful. I've been on conference calls with D* and the installer several times. The problem with the local company here in Des Moines, IA. Yesterday I called the local company directly while waiting for the third time and the lady on the phone said the installer was in route to my place as we spoke!!

I'm going to call D* again today, but after several calls to D*and the local installer, I have no confidence of ever getting someone out to my place. I've had D* service men out 3-4 times in the past 6 years without incident. Many this is a new local company.

2. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    My understanding is that it's $100 credit for each missed appointment. YMMV.

3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    actually it is once per work order, so if the installer reschedules, and then misses, and they reschedule again and blow you off again, just one credit.

It comes out of the installers pocket.

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    That's exactly why I didn't take advantage of the $100 missed appointment offer for my install. Last thing I wanted is an upset installer, who would keep missing my appointments.

5. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

This [​IMG] attracts installers

6. mwalter

mwalter New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Update:

I talked with a CSR today. She obvisouly did not know the whole history, and her records did not show the two subsequence appointments made with the local installer, even though both times I was forwarded to them by D*. She was able to give me 6 months of free HD or $60 total (along with the original $100), which is better than nothing. I've got an appointment for this Saturday with a different company, and lodged a "formal complaint" against the first one. Not sure if the complaint will do any good.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Unfortunately, if you're in one of many areas where there is a 4+ week backlog of work orders, and all of the techs are being over-routed every day, then no one is going to do anything about it. For these areas, hundreds of jobs are being missed every day. Techs may be assigned 6-8 work orders per day, and are lucky to get 3 done. And if this is the case, and there aren't any other jobs close to you, then you can be assured of being the one who is blown off.

The techs themselves have little choice; if they get 6 jobs, they're going to pick the 3 easiest jobs that are closest together and do those first. If they all go in, it will probably be past 6pm when they get done, and they're going home. Since they're going to miss 3 jobs anyway, they might as well be the 3 that are most difficult and/or farthest away...

8. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Is Premier still servicing Des Moines or are they out of the picture now? When they did my HD upgrade in Iowa City last year I think I knew more than the installer from Premier did.

9. mwalter

mwalter New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Direct Tech (sp?) is the new company scheduled for Saturday. I'm actually in west Urbandale.

10. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Premier is indeed history. and it is DirecTECH