1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local markets and disputes with network affiliates

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by adkinsjm, May 9, 2010.

1. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Does anyone have a list of local markets that are short a Big 4 network affiliate due to a contract dispute?

I know Bismarck-Minot, N.D. is missing FOX.

Also, does anyone know what spot beams on transponders 17 and 18 cover western ND?

2. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    So youre missing your Fox affiliate in HD. Big deal. Here in Fargo we dont get any locals in HD, we have to use that old standby, the antenna.

And given that some of the affilates here have had disputes with the local cable companies in recent years, I wouldnt be surprised if a few of them hold out once DirecTV launches HD locals here.

3. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    It's a big deal to not get locals in HD or the local at all. Bismarck is a MPEG4 market, so we don't get FOX in SD either.

Getting locals in HD is a big deal. That's why I "moved" to Park Rapids when I lived in your neck of the woods last year. BTW, once D* puts up HD locals in Fargo, D* already has permission to take the HD version, since that's what they take from the uplink facility in town. D* crops the picture and downrezzes the signal.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I think what Adver was alluding to is use an antenna for local HD.

Here, we don't even have our locals in SD and there's no place for me to "move". :)

5. NASCR2424

NASCR2424 Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    same here:confused: