1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local NC PBS HD Update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dnelms, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    I got this from asking UNC-TV about the holdup on HD being on DTV. This was the response. So is this the absence of an agreement or has this particular PBS channel not come up on DTV's list yet?

Answer to my email to UNC-TV
    UNC-TV is transmitting in High Definition today via DTV over the air.

At this point, the decision to provide our signal to their customers in HD is up to DirecTV. They are providing a downconverted signal today.

We work together with them to try and make this happen as soon as possible, but the decision is up to them.

2. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I would expect to see it in HD somewhat soon! We are in a fairly large DMA so I imagine it won't be long!

3. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Which DMA are you in?

4. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    you know the chief engineer of our local pbs station told me the same thing. he said they are broadcasting in hd but directv has chosen to downrez the signal. he also told me to complain to directv.

5. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    I hope the Charlotte area PBS channels go HD on my locals soon. I can get them via antenna but can't record for later viewing which is my biggest rub!

6. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh DMA

7. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Can't get the UNC-TV signal at my house via antenna, only can get it with DTV.

8. arwalke

arwalke New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    It seems to me like there's "big bang for the buck" if a single or two spotbeams cover the entire state of NC or SC (for SCETV). Since UNC-HD is just a single feed, that single feed can be sent to every DMA in NC (the same with the SCETV HD feed out of Columbia for SC). It saves transponder space, but I don't know if the spotbeam coverage would allow it and if it is possible to program the receivers to pickup a single local channel off of another spotbeam (I imagine it is possible).

9. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Would be a horrible waste to uplink 6-7 HD UNC PBS stations when they all are showing the exact same thing. The only difference being the station identifier at the top of the hour. I hope that during contract talks, UNC offered just a single feed for NC.

As for the last part of your question, I'm sure the receiver could pick up any spotbeam that it can receive. The big question is if there is a spotbeam that covers all of NC....