1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local SD Channels FUBAR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by trh, Jul 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Turned on my R15-300 this AM. Local channels not working properly. Channel 4 (Independent) is showing FMC Channel 258; Channel 7 PBS has a "Channel not purchased/721" error; Channel 12 NBC is showing USA 242; Channel 17 CW is showing TNT; Channel 25 ABC has the 721 error; Channel 30 Fox is showing MSNBC and Channel 47 CBS is showing some DirecTV channel (split into 9 screens showing new users how to use their guide and remote). Rest of the channels (200 and above) appear to be working normally.

All 3 of our SD units are like this; our 2 HD units are working normally.

I tried several resets (menu, RBR, unplugged unit) and then went online to send a refresh signal from DirecTV's web site. Nothing changed. Called a CSR and she had me do most of those plus she sent a new authorization to the unit, had me pull the access card to verify the number and turned the unit off & on. She also had me unplug the TV (not sure what impact that could have on this problem) and go through the Satellite Setup menus.

That was before 9am today and nothing fixed our problem. Since she couldn't solve the problem, she elevated the problem internally at DirecTV. But as of 6pm, nothing has changed and we haven't heard from DirecTV.

My limited troubleshooting knowledge has me leaning towards a faulty LNB, but I wouldn't bet more than a soft drink on this as the solution. Any suggestions?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Most likely, you had a power surge that scrambled the switch. Usually, if you power down ALL of your receivers for about 5 minutes (or disconnect the sat lines from them), which stops them from sending power to the switch, the switch will reset and everything will be fine.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Worked like a champ BattleZone. Thank you.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Update: I was watching a local SD channel when the picture flickered, then went to a "searching for sat signal" message, and then to USA network (without the receiver changing from local channel 12). After about 5 seconds, the regular NBC programing showed up. Then a couple of minutes later, the channel quickly swapped back and forth between NBC and USA for about 15 seconds.

Bad switch?

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Could be that the switch was damaged in the power surge. If you can, bypass the switch completely and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, then the switch needs to be replaced.

- Merg