Local TV OTA Subchannels using VOD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kokishin, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sep 1, 2014 #1 of 10
    kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    There are some OTA subchannels in my area I would really like to watch such as METV and Antenna TV. Comcrap carries them but I sure don't want to deal with Comcrap. I cannot install an OTA antenna because I live in a high rise condo with MDU. So I was thinking as a work around, why couldn't Directv offer local subchannels using the internet similar to their VOD?

2. Sep 1, 2014 #2 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Certainly the technology exists to do something like this. But I doubt DirecTV has the desire to set up a VOD network with thousands of local stations' sub-channels. There simply wouldn't be the demand to justify the investment.

What I could see happening, though, is that DirecTV works out an agreement to carry some of the more common networks provided by these sub-channels, such as METV and Antenna TV.

3. Sep 1, 2014 #3 of 10
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They could, but it would be a lot of expense for something not many customers would be interested in.

Where do the stations broadcast from? You might be able to pick them up with an indoor antenna. Maybe try getting a good quality indoor antenna and plug it into your TV to see if you can pick up the stations you're interested in. If you can, then you could get a AM21 and be able to watch/record them on your Directv DVR. If not, you can always return the antenna.

4. Sep 1, 2014 #4 of 10
    kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    Is there a good way to request Directv to offer these more common networks such as METV and Antenna TV?

5. Sep 1, 2014 #5 of 10
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Use the AM21 attached to your Directv receiver to DVR the programs you wish to watch. Then, you'll have them "on demand" to yourself after a few weeks when a bunch of episodes are recorded. Be sure to set the # of episodes to "all" or whatever. Note: AM21 recordings take up more space on the hard drive than the satellite-based recordings. MeTV etc are SD, but it's still more space.

6. Sep 1, 2014 #6 of 10
    CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    If the merger is approved maybe DTV will get METV from UVerseTV. I don't think UVerseTV has Antenna TV.

7. Sep 1, 2014 #7 of 10
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I also wouldn't be surprised to see more subchannels on Directv with a national feed. Several of the religious and shopping channels already do this, as does Weathernation. Dish network has a channel on it that is Cozi TV most of the time. My bounce TV station airs an ad begging people to add it on pay-TV providers. Some of these diginets have enough of an audience to warrant a spot in the line-up since they are SD and people like them. Better than the mess that TVLand has become!

8. Sep 1, 2014 #8 of 10
    kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    My condo faces south. Unfortunately, the stations that carry these networks broadcast from the north. FWIW, I have the HR20-700 which has an OTA antenna input. I tried a flat wall mount antenna from Costco, It was worthless so I returned it.

9. Sep 1, 2014 #9 of 10
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Think its in the contractual authorization of these sorts of networks like Antenna TV, COZI, METV, etc. which prohibit their distribution over a nationwide satellite feed.

DIRECTV or DISH can carry them as LiLs in local markets, but not as national channels.

10. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Directv wanted Aereo to work to take care of this issue.