1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locals Gone after a power outage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tbettini, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbettini

Tbettini AllStar

Aug 1, 2007
    Ok, Everytime theres a power outage i lose my locals and have to Restart the Hr20-100 in order to get em back, anyone else having the same problem? Called D* and they didnt help at all

2. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Sounds like your HR-20 might be taking a hit. How long are your outages?

3. Tbettini

Tbettini AllStar

Aug 1, 2007
    10 minutes each, and it happened twice today already!

I forgot to mention that only the HD counterparts disappear, they stay on the guide but with a blank screen, sometimes audio.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think a UPS would definitely benefit you, and a good surge protector wouldn't hurt.

5. Tbettini

Tbettini AllStar

Aug 1, 2007
    I do have a surge protector in place but no UPS

6. nellee

nellee New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Hey my box did the same.

My wife said she saw the box "powering up" last Thursday morning. Didn't think anything of it.

That night around 8:45PM wen to watch my recording of CSI on my local HD channel and it was blank/black screen. (Also same on other tuner recording DH at the same time)

My wife was POed because we were catching up on our CSI shows we didnt watch.

Later on, I reset the receiver, and the channels came back, but didnt think anything of the blank recordings. Next day was about to delete the recordings but decided to see if it was still blank, but the 2 shows did in fact record and I was able to play them.

I was about to lose confidence in the HD locals and switch the recordings to the OTA HD locals, but I think I'm ok with them now.

And my box is on a UPS. Maybe my battery needs to be replaced? It's quite a few years old.

7. Tbettini

Tbettini AllStar

Aug 1, 2007
    This could be a serious problem with the MPEG-4 channels, I dont get the same problem with the MPEG-2 Channels, wonder if im going to lose all the new HD channels everytime we get a power outage, wich is quite common here in Florida.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Maybe asked and answered? If you didn't lose power anywhere else in the house, but your HR20 reset, is it possible there's a problem with the UPS? Forutnately, I've never had to use one of these in the home, so I'm not sure what kind of issues there may be attached to them. /steve

9. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    ahhh you knew where I was going.

10. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I would strongly recommend you look into a UPS as others have advised. Short power blips are indeed common down here.

11. 7th Angel

7th Angel New Member

May 22, 2007
    Yeah that's happened at least three times to me. Not only do I lose the HD locals, but anything I've recorded from a HD local won't playback. This is VERY frustrating! The RESET is the only way I can get them back, but at the cost of all my recorded shows... :mad:

7th Angel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.