1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locals moving from 105 to 121 Dish says update CS says no

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by wkomorow, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wkomorow

wkomorow DBSTalk Club Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I am in the Albany NY DMA. When my locals were installed several months ago they were on 105. Dish consequently discovered that the 105 location did not reach the entire DMA and as a result mirrored the channels at 121 with 121 being the eventual permanent location for our DMA. So, I was not surprised when I saw a new channel this morning called Important Press Information. It read to continue to receive your local channels call dish to upgrade your antenna - call dish to schedule an appointment - in other words my antenna needs to be adapted to see the 121 location or switched out for a 121 Superdish.

I hope that no one else goes through what I did this evening. I am now on my third dish representative. So far I have been told that the info screen telling me to call dish to schedule an appointment was inserted by a local broadcaster warning they are going digital by by 2006 so I need a new off-air antenna. I insisted no, I need my Dish re pointed. Then I was told the 105 superdish would automatically pick up the channels on 121 without being re-pointed. Since it is a superdish it can see all satellite locations. I explained no, superdish comes in two configurations- one for 121 and one for 105, a 105 can not see 121 without being adapted in some way. Then I was told I needed to check all my receivers to see if they all had the same message. I have spent over a hour trying to convince Dish reps that they are moving the Albany DMA off 105 and onto 121. I finally got them to agree to send someone out to look at it, but if my 105 superdish does not to be re-pointed to see 121 then it will cost me $49.Does anyone know whether the dish will need to be replaced, or can the arm pointing at 105 be positioned on the other side and the dish re-peaked?

I would urge anyone in Dish management reading this to think about creating a system in which all info messages to customers contain an error code that one can simply read to the cs rep and which when typed in will provide unambiguous instructions. Walter

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The dish is fine, but the whole LNB assembly needs replacing.

A 105 SuperDish has the 105 FSS LNB centered, with the 110 DBS LNB under the same center shroud and the 119 DBS LNBF on the outrigger.
    A 121 SuperDish starts with the 121 FSS LNB in the center but the LNBs are built out in the opposite direction. The 119 DBS LNB is closely spaced to the FSS LNB in the center shroud and the 110 DBS LNBF is on the outrigger.

It's more than just flipping it. The spacing is different and the center shroud is opposite.

JL

3. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    yeah my brother-in-law still has the 105 Dish for Madison and they are mirrored on 121. I guess I should notify him about that. He works so much he won't be thrilled to know this.

4. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Walter's idea about the code on info screens to clue in CSRs would be a great idea. It sounds like the info screen went up before a memo went to the CSRs...

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Woudn't matter - it seems like the CSRs can't read anyway.

6. nightstick911

nightstick911 Cool Member

Dec 20, 2003
    I live in Madison and received the same "info" channel. I currently have the 105 superdish. I called today and the csr wasn't sure about what I was talking about at first, then after some checking he told me my dish only needed to be re-pointed at the 121. I told him the LNB would also have to be replaced.

I am scheduled to have this done a week from Friday.first of all, i hope the installer will show unlike some of the problems other people had with the superdish, and secondly I hope the installer has the correct LNB.

I'll find out next week.

7. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    I think in the 4 towns that this is happening, about 2 months ago they started doing 121 installs, so your installer should have the right part :)

8. wkomorow

Apr 22, 2002
    When I got home this evening, I noticed that the "info" page is no longer there. Well, I am scheduled for Sat. (They actually offered to do it on Friday, but I could not make it.) I wonder if the slate was causing so many problems for the CSR that they needed to retool it? Anyone else have their "info" page disappear?

Walter

9. chelsea

chelsea Legend

May 1, 2003
    The 4 cities transfering from 105 to 121 are,
    Albany, Boise, Madison, & Missoula.

10. brooksto

brooksto Guest

thats exactly what happened. They will be doing free repoints to the new sats for the respective dma's.

11. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    They returned the four INFO channels to engineering status.

12. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    wkomorow:
    May I suggest sending an E-Mail to ceo@echostar.com. Sending you the message without informing the CSRs is dumb on so many levels.... I always try the CSR first, but if I encounter too much stupidity it's off to ceo....

simplesimon: Can the CSRs in India read English? Perhaps they are just sounding out the letters with no actualy understanding.

13. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    That's IT! Now I understand! :D

14. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    If the INFO channels pop up again for Madison for instance, what channel were they on? Maybe giving the channel #'s to CSR's might help when calling?

15. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    India was a British colony for many many years. While Hindi is the official language there, their constitution does proclaim English to be allowed in an official capacity. Also, if I'm not mistaken, English is taught as a standard in their school system.

(Don't misunderstand. I HATE outsourcing and think of it as a form of treason against the American people. There's just no need to blame a race of people for Dish's poor corporate communication and customer service organization.)

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I saw a special on the Indian side of outsourcing, including how it is Americanizing their culture, on the Discovery Channel a couple of weeks back. Being paid to butcher the English language they have learned so well so they can speak in "American" accents. :D

It really has been quite a culture shock to have the easy money that comes from sitting at a phone all day and talking American. Now the younger generation have their own money and are more independent from their families. Plus the money is staying with the young workers and being recycled into purchasing foreign products. It is not helping the culture as a whole.

IMHO the exporting is hurting both sides of the connection. We could get the jobs back when the corporate climate changes and companies decide to hire American. They can't as easily get their culture back.

JL

17. wkomorow

Apr 22, 2002
    I wrote to ceo@echostar.com before I posted here. I have not received (nor do I necessarily expect) a reply. [A representative from the Dish problem resolution staff did contact me and explained that the problem was that the slate was put up, but I called before they had an opportunity to inform the CSRs about what they needed to do.]

For me, the main issues are two-fold. First, the CSRs are not stupid, they are unfortunately poorly trained and ill-informed. This bothers me from a customer perspective, because the longer I am on the phone with support, the more it is costing that company to provide my service, and ultimately, the higher my rates. The better informed the front-line staff, the better able they will be able to provide service. That is why I suggested a code that would instantly cue in a CSR to what they need to do. Second, I am frustrated that the CSRs and supervisor came up with excuses rather then simply saying they needed to research this and get back to me. It is actually OK to say "I don't know, but I will find the answer for you." Take the question, send it up the command structure and call me back with an answer. It is not as if I am without my locals right now. I would never fault someone for not knowing the answer to a question, only for not sending that question on to someone who can ultimately help me.

On the different note ... I have been in information technology for a couple of decades now, and I have had to call help desk around the world. Regardless of the native language of the representative, I have never had a problem communicating with them. The fact that someone's native language is not English or is a different variety of English is not at issue. What has been an issue is that the rep has not had the resources to help me. That was the case at Echostar.

I apologize to the CSRs at Echostar if my depiction made them appear stupid - that was not and never would be my intent. I was, however, pointing out that there is a need for better communication and a better method for handling questions they can not immediately answer.

Walter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.