1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locals Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Scott R. Scherr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    I am having bizarre problems with both HD and SD locals on only one box. The other two boxes work fine, but indicate a problem when running system test. On the box with the problem:

1. On my local ABC affiliate, it is showing Noggin.

2. On most SD locals, it is stating that the box is not authorized to receive the channel. A couple of the local SD channels are fine.

3. On all HD locals, it can't see the satellite.

4. Tuner 2 failed all satellite tests. Tuner 1 failed all but 101 and 119.

I called Directv and they are sending out a technician. I suspect the multiswitch (WB68). Anyone have any thoughts?

Scott

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I would definately try reauthorizing the cards from the site and a reboot to see if that clears part of your issues up.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, that's something to do with switching issues. IS the WB68 hooked up properly? Are there any other switches, diplexers, splitters in the lines?

4. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    1. D* tried reauthorizing the cards and it did not solve the problem.

2. There are no diplexers, splitters, switches, etc. The system has been in place for years without a problem until Monday night when one of the locals started fading in and out until it was completely gone.

Scott

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Did you do a RBR on this reciever? Also what are your signal strengths on all sats? Do you have a 5 LNB setup or 3?

6. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    I did a RBR and it did not help. Many satellite readings were 0 and I have a 5 LNB (slimline).

Scott

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah, probably switch/LNB failure. Can you bypass the switch nad see if the preblem persists.

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There is part of the problem. Im gonna guess its either cableing for that one reciever or the dish needs aligned. Either way the service call should fix you right up. How far out till the arrive? Hopefully not 2 weeks or anything like that.

9. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    Thanks, guys. They are coming on Sunday.

Scott

10. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    I have two open slots on the multiswitch (I have 3 HD-DVR's). I will try to move the two cables from the problematic box to the open slots.

Scott

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I would also try to bypass the switch and run two wires straight from dish to IRD.

12. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    UPDATE:

This gets really bizarre. Most channels are remapped incorrectly on the guide. Noggin is on the ABC affiliate, PBS is on NBC, etc. Many channels say I am not authorized to receive them or cannot see satellite on tuner 2. Systems test shows that Tuner 2 cannot see any satellites.

However, all recordings come out fine. In other words, last night the series links were set to record American Idol and Lost at the same time. Both recordings are the proper programs and are flawless. However, if I looked at those channels live, ABC was showing Noggin and Fox showed a message that I was not authorized to received the channel.

Directv reauthorized the box and I rebooted, but it still acts the same. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Scott