Locast adds Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by NYDutch, Apr 14, 2020.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    "Locast has just announced that it will now deliver over a dozen channels in Puerto Rico, bringing important local news, weather and storm coverage, emergency information, sports, and entertainment programming to internet-connected devices."

Locast is Now Streaming in Puerto Rico - Cord Cutters News

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have they recovered from the last disaster? The way the island has been treated is deplorable.

Rich

3. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Recovery is still under way. This is the most recent information I found:

Update on Puerto Rico Disaster Recovery

Rich likes this.
  4. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I don't get this whole Locast thing. It's garbage on DIRECTV. And they keep pressing on with launches of more channels in the states - now a US possession. I don't get it. Do you?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    The Locast app works well on the Dish receivers that have it installed, as well as on Firesticks and other devices including PC's. I don't know what Direct's problem is with implementing the Locast API.

6. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I'm not in a Locast market, but I'm within reasonable range for OTA reception for most local broadcast channels, and all the major network affiliates, so Locast wouldn't do much for me anyway, unless I just wanted to get rid of my rooftop antenna.

But there are some communities & towns included in the Local DMA that are beyond OTA reception range, even with a standard rooftop antenna. So for those areas, it's pretty much Cable, Satellite, or a streaming service, if you are wanting access to locals, and you have to pay for whatever other services are included in the package, whether you want them or not. Also, with the exception of traditional Cable, digital subchannels are rarely included. Even Cable only has some of them. Locast might be a worthwhile alternative, in this situation.

SamC and NYDutch like this.
  7. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Here's what Comcast charges around here per month to just get our local channels via standalone cable TV service:

Limited Basic: $16.50
    Broadcast TV Fee: $15.35
    Analog TV Adapters (SD only): first 2 free, then 50 cents for the 3rd

So you're looking at $31.85 for just locals in SD, with a basic remote and no on-screen guide, no on-demand, nothing extra!

Now, if you want to see your local HD channels in HD, you'll also have to pay the following:

HD Technology Fee: $9.95
    TV Box: $7.50 each

So now you're up to $49.30! And that's for service to just one TV! Although at least you do get an on-screen guide with the TV box. And I think you maybe get the on-demand libraries Comcast carries from ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW and PBS. But if you want to add DVR service, well, that's another $10/mo.

Obviously, Comcast does not want to sell anyone standalone locals-only TV service given the absolutely insane amount they charge for it. Spending $5.50 per month on a Locast membership looks pretty good in comparison! And you can use the separate Stremium app to record Locast channels to cloud DVR. Cost is $5/mo for 25 hrs storage or $10/mo for 50 hrs.

NYDutch and Glen_D like this.
  8. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    And if you also have streaming service from Philo, Spectrum, FrndlyTV, Sling TV, or Vidgo, Stremium will record them as well.

NashGuy likes this.
  9. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    With a Plex Pass, the locast2plex script, and a $5 monthly donation to Locast, you can DVR the local channels and watch them on your TV.

10. b4pjoe

b4pjoe DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Nov 19, 2010
    And live in an area served by Locast (or use a vpn which is not ideal).

11. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, it works great if you are in an area served by Locast.

Glen_D likes this.