Locast adds Wilkes Barre-Scranton-Hazleton, PA

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by NYDutch, Oct 29, 2020.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Wow! Another email from Locast already:

You can now stream local broadcast TV channels in Wilkes Barre and Scranton in northeastern Pennsylvania, for free.
    We are pleased to announce that Locast now delivers 16 local TV channels to viewers in the Wilkes Barre-Scranton-Hazleton TV market, which encompasses 17 counties.

This is our 25th market, making Locast available to more than 148 million people across the nation.

Home - Locast

2. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    A little over three and a half years ago I was in this area visiting several broadcast equipment manufacturers helping my company (that I had been recalled from retirement) set up teams of engineers to roll out the frequency repack of stations around the country that is now almost done.

This area was, back in the day as they say, one of the hotbeds of cable tv all the way back into the late 1940's, so I was (my last time in the area was a quick trip in 2000 and a rather more extensive ones in 1995-6) and was stunned by the number of DirecTV dishes on, it seemed, almost every home; certainly far more than I had noticed in 2000 (before mass hd adoption) and eclipsing the rare dish seen in the mid 90's.

I mentioned this to one of the company reps one day, and they replied that the regional large cable companies had resisted takeover by Comcast and had as a result failed to carry a lot of channels at a 'resonable' cost priced themselves out of the market. This was, of course, before the current internet streaming craze, but I did ask about data and found out that heavy competition between cable and telco dsl (which had a good amount a bandwidth due to the concentration of homes in the towns and villages dotted in the countryside and well maintained copper plant), but I wonder how things are faring today as bandwidth needs have grown exponentially.

But it appears that competition in this area is heating up rapidly, as several wireless providers along of course the elephant in the market (Starlink). I now live in small town America (but on the opposite side of the country) where all three national plus one regional wireless providers are attempting to rollout 'lte' based home internet service plus am also in the bullseye of spacex leo testing, while being in a slice of comcast territory that extends, at most, a mile in any direction (barely more than the distance to any more of the wireless towers serving the community). Telco? Dispite their fairly robust rollout of fiber in the big cities both to the north and south, you can forget about anything but extremely slow dsl anywhere, so they are a no-show.

But as I mentioned in another thread, my dma is almost the exact opposite of that back in PA, extending well over 250 miles across in any direction, and was lucky to have locast turned up almost a year ago; but what has been extremely interesting of late is the response by comcast to the competition from wireless and satellite in the reduction of data plans by over 1/3rd, to well under (current) Starlink by not quite to the lowest lte provider, which is still running mostly on lower band frequencies (<2ghz) and not yet on 'mid band' or millimeter '5g' spectrum so how well it is running is a bit unknown.

The TMobile system looks pretty good and in fact I have three of their towers in multiple directions, all under 1 mile distance. Why exactly that many is as good question but 'the' major interstate, the town center offset from it by a mile, and TMobile national hq being in the state may all have something to do with it. But we do seem to have a wealth of towers, from my front porch I can optically sight no less than 5 on both the overlooking hills and city streets, all within at most 8000'. In looking up the fcc database just about every national tower company is represented along with a couple of actual company owned ones. In short, not a good area for those worried about rf radiation effects!

I will keep my eye on TMobile when they expand to the 2.5ghz ex-sprint mid-band freqs, and if comcast gets ansy and reduces their cost some more. But as it stands right now, I could achieve another 1/3rd reduction in cost by jumping ship, while significantly increasing upstream bandwidth.

NYDutch likes this.
  3. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Fyi, wheras comcast/xfinity reacted to the rollout of competition by reducing the cost of their product by 1/3rd (my monthly bill for 100/5 with docsis 3.1 rental modem went from $121+ to $80+, a deduction of $40), charter spectrum ( the closest plant of theirs to me is over 1000 miles away) is being hiked by $5 to $75/month (100mbs, unknown if that includes a docsis modem).

Tmobile = $60+, Starlink is $100. I'm holding fast for now. Ah. Competition.