Location of closed captioning or subtitles on screen - Genie 2

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by AnnieP, Feb 4, 2019.

1. AnnieP

AnnieP New Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I think I'm on the right forum. The model of my new dvr is C41WBP-500C-R. The Directv guy just replaced our old DVR with this one. The closed captioning and/or subtitles moves around on the screen. It used to be on the bottom in the middle of the screen and that's where I want it to be again. Sometimes now it's on the top or further to the left. Any suggestions? Thanks, Annie

2. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Usually when there are credits or something like that on the screen the closed captioning will move to the top.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I just went thru the settings on my HR24. Lots of things you can change but I never found anything that allowed you to have a Position choice.

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I think the CC encoding can include information on where the text is to be placed on the screen.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The size, position, color and font can be specified by the caption provider. In my experience, live programs usually have scrolling boxes while scripted recorded programs do a better job of placing the captions "out of the way" on the screen.

Are the captions behaving differently on the new Genie 2 than they did on the old (same show or series having different caption displays)?