Lock Directv Receiver to 1 Channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BobGeeX, Aug 28, 2016.

1. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Is there an easy way to lock a receiver to a single channel? We have a group of ten receivers feeding pieces of gym equipment and it seems that we are always having to reset up the receivers since they have a way of getting changed. I have experimented with Parental Controls and it has more of a channel block functionality vs the desired channel lock functionality.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried to make a Favorites List and just put Channel 1 in it ?

1 person likes this.
  3. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Set up a favorite channels list and only select channel 1 on it, problem solved!

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Have you tried blocking everything except the desired channel on each receiver?

5. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    I have tried the Favorite list and yes it does stop Channel Up and Channel Down from changing the channels. However, it does not seem to limit functionality when you input a channel selection directly via the keypad as long as this channel is in you subscribed channel list.

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I think parental control will work if you block all channels except the one you are allowing. That will take a long time to set up. It is probably easier just to change the channel back to the one you want, but if you really are concerned, then blocking every channel except the one you want to allow is the only way I know.

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why not just cover up the IR 'eye on every receiver so the remote control can't operate the receiver at all? You won't be able to turn them on/off other than with the button the front panel, but they don't use much power.

If you don't like the idea of leaving them on 24x7 or having to manually press buttons to turn them on/off (i.e. if they are located where that isn't convenient) another way would be to get a universal remote that you can program to operate power on/off only, and hide the real Directv remote where only you can get to it. You'll probably have to get a higher end universal remote, the cheap ones will just take a 'Directv' code that programs all the functions, you want something you can selectively enable individual functions.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah take away the controls. Is that not an option?

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    If someone is that determined to watch something, they will still find a way to change the channel. You can try to deter them, but even some smartphones have IR functions now so they don't even need the real remote.

Outside of putting the receivers in a locked cabinet that only you and people you trust have access to, there's nothing stopping them unless you find out who it is and reprimand them if they're an employee or revoke their membership if they're a member.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But if you block everything other than the 1 channel, they will need the 4-digit code to change channels. And it is easy. When you go to the Block Channels, there is a SELECT ALL. Do that and then deselect the 1 channel you want them to watch.

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I am guessing the receivers in a gym aren't somewhere publicly accessible, so you wouldn't need to worry about customers trying to change channels. Worst case change to a different IR code set number. While maybe the IR apps on phones that have IR support can similarly switch, I doubt any of the people who might do this would think to try different codesets.

12. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. It doesn't look like there is a simple solution. I was hoping that their was a "lock" functionality hidden in the Menu system. It looks like the combination of the two approaches, favorites and parental controls, gets you most of the way there. Unfortunately, when both are implemented you get a message to input the lock code and the receiver just sits there waiting for it - too bad it doesn't revert to the previous channel you were tuned to. We do have the receivers in a secure closet and the ir windows taped. However, they are getting changed by someone.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What receivers are they? What remote do you use? Are they connected to the internet?

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So ... for the experts that have set up a MDU/hotel type system. How are the receivers locked to one channel when DIRECTV receivers are fed to modulators to create an SMATV setup? Or are special receivers used that are fixed channel?

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's really weird that they are getting changed when you have the IR windows taped up. The only other way they should be able to get changed would be if they are on the same network as your wireless and someone is changing them that way.

Are they getting changed to channels someone wants to watch (i.e. deliberate) or random channels (i.e. accidental) and if deliberate do you have any idea if it is customers or employees who are doing it?

What you have should work to keep the channels fixed, something fishy is going on...

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    BTW: Do you have any security cameras?

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    they are not locked in to one channel but rather the entire COM closet is locked with a key.

I have seen many Macy's with signs as well that says, "under no circumstances are the channels to be changed" or something to that effect. Again, those receivers are locked in the COM room.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

18. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If the channel changes are random, I wonder if there is some stray IR that is causing it?

The reason I ask is that I saw something really weird last winter. Several times when driving west as the sun rose in late December the volume in my car stereo started going up and down by itself. Never had seen that before, and I had no idea what was happening. Then I remembered having long ago noticed what looked like a tiny IR receiver on it, and sure enough when I'd cover it up the volume would stop changing! So I assume somehow the way the light was hitting it was getting interpreted as an IR command by the stereo.

19. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    If they are non-genies you can set up the reciever mode to av1 or av2 and DTV remotes wont work unless you program them specially.

Sent from my LG K7 using Tapatalk

20. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Good idea. Another suggestion might be to set to RF mode (non genie, also). One would need the specific receiver number to program another remote to the given receiver.

Or use a combination of the above two methods. Of course this would mean each receiver could only be controlled by its own properly-programmed remote and/or the front panel. Possibly a little more inconvenient than removing/replacing IR-blocking tape, but a little more secure from someone who's using just a standard-programmed remote.