Logitech Harmony 880 remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stick26_98, Dec 30, 2009.

1. stick26_98

stick26_98 New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I am fairly new and I've tried to read as much as I can in the forums, but am extremely frustrated... I cannot for the life of me get my Harmony 880 remote to work correctly with my Directv HR21-700. I have changed my settings to "IR", so that shouldn't be the issue. I cannot get an activity that includes "Watch DVR" or something of that order. I never get an option to be able to utilize the Directv DVR with my remote when I try to "Add Activity".

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Randy

2. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Have you done "Add Device" to add the DVR first before trying to "Add Activity"? That's how I normally do it.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Yeah, you need to add all of the devices that you want to run off of a particular activity and then program the activity accordingly.

4. stick26_98

stick26_98 New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    ok... so I've added my "PVR" as DirecTV HR21.

Then when I go to "Add Activity", and click "Yes - automatically add Activities that use my devices", I don't get "Watch DVR" or some variance of that... I only get "Watch a Movie".

I have "DirecTV PVR" as a device, but I never get the option to actually set it up as an Activity. This is where I am getting frustrated and can't figure it out.

5. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Ah, I see. I don't normally let it add devices automatically, there is a way to manually setup a new activity, then manually add all the devices you want to use with it. Try that instead.

6. stick26_98

stick26_98 New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I tried it the way you suggest and that did the trick! Once I selected "No - manually add an Activity to my setup" and then "Watch Television" I saw the options that I was looking for in "Watch TV ( DVR or PVR other than TiVo)".

Thanks much for your help! It helped me from pulling my hair out! :)

7. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    No problem...I love my 890, now you will too! Enjoy!

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    FWIW - If you get stuck, or have a problem, Logitech's live support is great. They fixed a minor glitch on my 880 that had it doing some weird things, but I didnt want to erase everything and start over. They fixed it for me, and all I had to do was hit the "update remote" button.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I pretty much use manual all the time now on my 880 and 1000, or if I do use "stock" one I reconfigure most buttons by learning command.
    once you get used to messing with it the whole thing will become clearer.

10. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    :) I am glad you got it working. Sometimes automatic works, but most times it does not. I have three DVRs and all have different IR codes, each one needed special attention, and manual was the only way to do this (mine is an 890 BTW, but essentially the same).

11. tralfaz

tralfaz Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Oct 31, 2009
    But it's only within 30 days of purchase now, IIRC.

12. Slygrin

Slygrin Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    Moses Lake, WA
  13. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    xzi-My Harmony 880 worked great, very happy with it except for 1 serious issue. It seems that you can't spill an entire glass of red wine on it. That was actually a year ago and it still works, although the hard number buttons are a bit peckish.

14. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    mine has hit wall a few times (don't ask) and some buttons require a lot of pressure. I pulled it apart and cleaned stuff, that helped, but its worn :D
    Just got a 550 a friend sent mostly setup, need to tweak a bit but its working well.
    so I have a 1000, 880, and a 550 now. 880 will be true spare and hardly used now.