DBSTalk Forum banner

Logitech Harmony vs....Anything Better You Could Recommend?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Reaper 
#1 ·
Hi There:

I'm on my third Harmony remote (2 550s, now the Harmony One). As a rule, I'm happy with them, but they all wind up suffering from button fatigue (have to press harder as time goes by), and maybe even OS rot (sometimes, it takes 2-3 seconds for a command to be sent). It's about time again to replace my Harmony. But, is there something out there that's better? That high-end guys go to instead of Logitech...? I just got my bonus at work, and it's burning a hole in my pocket!

Oh, it's gotta do macros.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I hear what you're saying about button fatigue with harmony remotes. I'm on my third and that's always what has led me to replace one with another. Curious to hear what others may think of non-harmony remotes for that reason. Though I am fond of how easy it is to program the harmony.

#4 ·
I prefer simple, non-"think for you" remotes. I love Sony's fully learnable remotes. Every button is learnable and they last for years.

#5 ·
I stopped using harmony remotes back in the days where there was a widespread issue with the charging contacts on the remotes themselves. I replaced 2 of them for the reason and once the third one broke, that was it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
peds48 said:
I stopped using harmony remotes back in the days where there was a widespread issue with the charging contacts on the remotes themselves. I replaced 2 of them for the reason and once the third one broke, that was it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I used to have a remote that had charging contacts, just got fussy on how it needed to be to charge, now I use a peanut Harmony with regular batteries.

#8 ·
Can't beat JP1 for bang for the buck. Over 100 models are listed in the Wiki. But my favorite these days that would be a nice upgrade from you 550 is the Nevo C2 for under $20 on eBay. IMO, URC is over priced, and Sony isn't very flexible in terms of programming.

What makes JP1 remotes unique is that absolutely any command can be added to them without learning. This includes discrete codes that would otherwise be impossible to add to a simple learning remote. They also use very sophisticated open source programming software that has been refined by actual users for over 15 years. It's far more powerful than any Logitech software. Lastly, JP1 remotes are incredibly cheap and plentiful, starting at just $3. UEI, the maker of JP1 remote and the One-for-all, Xsight and Nevo brands, among many others, also makes all DirecTV and Dish remotes as well as most cable TV remotes and all use the same codes as your DirecTV remotes. They also have a larger device database than Logitech.

FWIW, I have over a dozen C2's and C3's and have been using them for years. They run circles around Harmony at a fraction of the cost. They have absolutely no delay whatsoever and support 18 devices, 75 favorites, activities, macros, pronto hex import, custom devices and protocols, variable hold durations, you name it. No other $20 remote is even in the same universe.

Here's a post by a recent convert:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/1157746-acoustic-research-xsight-remote-22.html#post31154769

Lots more info about the above remotes in that thread as well.

#9 ·
What are you doing to your remotes? I've got Harmony Ones that are over 7 years old, and a Harmony 650 that is about 5 years old an all the buttons still work fine on all of them. I've given them to my parents and sister and they don't have issues like this either.

The only problem I've had with any of them is the charging issues with the 880's before I replaced them with the Harmony One (which I've never had charging issues with), and now I have a problem with the 650 not wanting to turn it's backlight off. I think that is because it is in our bedroom and has fallen off the bed too many times.

#11 ·
I agree with the OP about Harmony remotes. I had two 659s and buttons failed, meaning they needed to be pressed really hard/deeply. I have a couple buttons on my Harmony One that are failing, though no quite as badly. I have a 900 too and so far haven't had any button problems with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.