Lone Ranger unmasked

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by AntAltMike, Jul 26, 2016.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just surfed into the final few minutes of the Lone Ranger episode: Death Goes to Press (Season 4 Episode 43), and saw him without his mask on for the first time. I didn't know there were any such episodes.

Are there any others, and does anyone otherwise know anything else about the history of him appearing unmasked?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Episode 1 "Enter The Lone Ranger".

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    From IMDB's Episode 1 Trivia:

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Watch the episode. There's a scene where he's lying on his back unmasked. The entire left side of his face is visible.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    There are 221 Episodes, so when it comes around again, I'll have to set my VCR.

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's available on YouTube.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I'm old enough to remember seeing this, but it was so long ago that I don't remember it clearly. But there is some sort of origin story explanation where TLR is unmasked until he becomes TLR. Maybe that's ep 1? I don't remember much, other than an image of Clayton Moore before he had the mask, shortly after the ambush. I sort of remember this as being one of the first compelling moments of television that I ever experienced. I'd never seen a 'back story' before, and I considered that a dramatic tool of great importance, even at 5 years old.

OK. I have too much time on my hands, and Wikipedia is a great time waster, but I was not aware of the 'Green Hornet' connection. There is one hell of a fleshed-out back story here. TLR is a pretty great story, actually. Too bad all the recent movies were so bad.

I'd like to think that the 'John Reese' character from Person Of Interest was a nod to John Reid, or TLR. But that's just my wishful thinking fantasy. Gotta find Jonathan Nolan and ask him. That is the guy I would want them to cast as him if they made a new movie, though. Maybe Nolan could helm a reboot.

The best TLR story is a true story of a stoned Jay Thomas making a promotional radio appearance with Clayton Moore, and giving him a ride to a hotel where they got into a fender bender. Jay told this story every year on Letterman.

But there were like 3000 radio shows first, not to mention a Zane Grey novel as inspiration. No one ever saw his face while reading that novel or listening to those shows.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The description earlier in the thread seems accurate: "The producers go to great pains to ensure that Clayton Moore's face is never shown, shooting from behind, covering it with bandages etc., until the Lone Ranger finally dons his mask."

This was the moment where the side of his face was visible:
    LoneRangerUnmasked.png

A few seconds later, we get the first front on picture:
    LoneRangerMasked.png

In a modern world one could Photoshop a side picture of The Lone Ranger with a mask and get the same quality of picture as the unmasked shot above. He is just another nondescript person. Turning his head was a good way for the producers to mask his identity ... before the mask.

9. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So was there 2 different actors playing TLR during the first episode, one before the ambush and one after, Clayton Moore?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There was a young John Reed, but he appeared after the ambush in a flashback (with young Tonto).

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Also, for what it's worth... back when this show was created and airing... people had small TVs and didn't have the ability to record, zoom, or pause... so you only got a brief glimpse if there was a slip where they showed more than they wanted to show. Not like today when you can record it and freeze frame on just that one image.

12. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    True. My 'memory' might not be that accurate. Witnesses to a bank robbery are all over the map just after it's over, so I would not put a lot of credence in the 'image' still in my mind from 60 years ago, which is a full-front image, maybe that I manufactured in my mind from what I actually might have seen. But it is clear. I can still see it.

Thanks for the screen grabs, though. It looks like they shot that scene pretty professionally.

Scrutiny was not easy then, as you say. Today, a tech sometimes takes 10 hours just to get a single computer screen right in Mr. Robot. Because, that is exactly what nerds living in their parents' basements do...freeze those shows and scour everything like it's the torah.

I only wish at 5 years old I could rewind TV and check it out closer, because that scene and the origin story were hella compelling to me.

And kudos to Mr. Robot. It's the 21st century, and shows like Law and Order and CSI have been showing us bogus computer screens forever. All I know is my computer doesn't make dumb little trilling sounds every time I access it.