long run question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kentrx1, Sep 16, 2014.

1. kentrx1

kentrx1 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    have a direct tv satellilte, not hd, and wish to do a long run to a barn about 400 feet away. the satellite has a dual run of about 50 feet to a 4 way splitter, 3 of which I have hooked to tvs in the house. I have a fourth receiver that I don't need in the house and wish to use the fourth run to the barn. I also have plenty of underground rg 11. is it possible to run the signal 400 feet? do I need an inline amp?

thanks to all the gurus who can help!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    400' is going to require some extra help in the form of either special cabling (RG-11), a satellite signal amplifier or both.

In the grand scheme it would probably be a whole lot cheaper and easier to mount another dish on or near the barn.

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You may require an inline SWM amp, and you will not be able to use 'whole home' to be able to view recorded content from DVRs in the house via this barn receiver.

Unless the barn is in the same direction from the dish as the house, it would probably work better if you used a two way splitter off the dish, with one output going to your existing 4 way splitter, and the other output going to the barn. If you do that, you might be able to get away without an amp. It would violate Directv's recommendations for length of run, but those are based on RG6 so if you're using RG11 it would probably work. If you have problems you could always add the amp later.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suggest you try it and see if it will work using what you have on hand now - it cost nothing to try it

5. kentrx1

kentrx1 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    i appreciate the suggestions. i am just trying to determine if this is even possible at this distance before i go to the trouble of hooking everything up. if an amp is needed, any suggestion?

6. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Here is a good amp but as mentioned I would try it first without the amp. As you have RG11 it just might work with no help.

Edit: Never mind, this amp will not work for your system. I missed the SD part and after another poster listed SWM amp I just went with this.

7. kentrx1

kentrx1 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    thanks longrider. this is a second home and it is very remote, so i was trying to have everything with me. that does look like a quality amp. appreciate the info.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It appears that you guys are assuming the TS has SWM when it looks to me he has a round dish

1 person likes this.
  9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    "A dual run of about 50 feet to a 4 way splitter", combined with the SD comment, suggests that the "Splitter" is actually an old 2x4 multiswitch (not actually a splitter). Running 400 feet after a multiswitch, even with RG11, is going to be a challenge.

The amp that was linked will NOT work with kentrx1's setup.

My first suggestion would simply to get another dish and mount it on your barn. That would be the easiest, simplest, way to go. There are legacy amps you can get, but they are intended to go between the dish/LNB and the STB, or between the dish/LNB and the multiswitch. They are not normally designed to go between the multiswitch and STB.

10. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    For the barn? It seems like you wouldn't need to connect to "whole home" thingy. I would suggest just getting a single LNB small dish and set it up at your barn. It eliminates the pain of worrying and trying to get everything working. You can even "self install" because you said NOT HD.

1 person likes this.
  11. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Yes, I missed the SD part, I'll just blame it on Slice1900 who said SWM amp :) ;) I agree with the suggestions for a second dish, you will spend less time installing and aiming the dish then you would running 300' of RG11 plus the dish would cost less than an amp

12. kentrx1

kentrx1 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    I am a novice with this and I appreciate the suggestions. Putting a dish at barn is not a possibility due to trees. Barely found a site for the house. I am not interested in removing trees at this point. So is the cable run going to be a waste of time?

13. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I'd be curious as well what max lengths are possible. I have a mango and orange tree that are a single good season away from blocking my dish, and I'll need to move it to the edge of my property soon if I'm keeping DirecTV it at all.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Pruning might be advantageous, both for reception and more accessible fruit!

15. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    No. Trees are more important to me than TV.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    And to me. However, as a sometimes arborist, pruning citrus so that the fruit is reachable is as Martha Stewart said, "a good thing".

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What type of dish do you have, and how far from your house would your dish have to be located? You might require an amplifier (or two if you're talking a really long distance) but so long as you aren't living on a property measured in square miles it shouldn't be a problem or very costly. It would be a job for a custom or self install at that point, a regular Directv installer wouldn't service it.

As far as max length, it is unlimited so long as your budget is :)

18. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I suppose. In the real world, I've run an SD receiver off an 18" dish through 400 feet of RG6. But not a permanent install, just temporarily. So I know that will work with good, new, coax, good, new, connectors, etc. Using RG11 instead of RG6 may be sufficient to give you some margin, and if you've already got it available it would be worth the try. One of the main limiting factors in long runs is the DC signal going from the receiver to the dish (as opposed to the rf signal). RG11 has a much larger center conductor, thus is capable of carrying DC with less loss over a given distance than RG6. Further, the larger diameter of the center conductor also provides more surface on that conductor, which is how rf travels (skin effect), so it should also carry the rf signal farther than RG6.

One of the first symptoms of it not working properly would be loss of some channels while still getting others. Check your satellite signal levels and if you notice that the even transponders are all zero, and the odd transponders show signal, you've got a voltage drop problem in the long run. The stack plan uses 13 volts to tell the dish to send odd transponders to the receiver, and 18 volts to tell the dish to send even transponders to the receiver. If the 18 volt signal drops too low, then the dish will think it's being asked for the 13volt (odd) transponders.

19. kentrx1

kentrx1 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    so with everything being said so far, if i have to use an amp, what would be a good choice?

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With RG6 you're looking at upwards of 33db loss over 400' at 1.4GHz. It may work with the more powerful amplifiers. RG11 would be a little over 20db loss at 1.4GHz.

Of course you'll have to invest in cable suitable to make the run and figure out how to protect the cable.