Longtime DTV Customer returning after a month. Advice for Deals?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Bobwhite, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1 of 16
    Bobwhite

Bobwhite AllStar

Nov 29, 2006
    I was a DTV customer continuously since 1996, but sold my house and moved a month ago, and could not get a proper install where I wanted, so went with cable for a month and had to pay $300 to get out of my contract. Now after seeing how inferior cable is, and spending a ton for some electrical work to put things where I want, I'm ready to call DTV and deal. Any advice on getting the best deal? I would like to at least recoup the $300 and have always been able to get NFLST and RedZone for free the last 3 years.

2. Jul 1, 2015 #2 of 16
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I don't understand. You moved and could not get a proper install with DIRECTV so you went with cable. You were dissatisfied with cable and terminated paying a $300.00 ETF. Now you want to go back to DIRECTV. What makes you think you will get a proper install this time?

3. Jul 1, 2015 #3 of 16
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Was this ( bold text above ) the problem with the DTV install ?
    You might just wait a little while to see if they call you trying to get you back. Just an FYI: It is always better to not cut off what you have until you have secured a replacement.
    The only way to find out is to call. Discounts and offers vary quite a bit from time to time and no one really knows until they actually call.

4. Jul 1, 2015 #4 of 16
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sometimes the "Come back offers" can be pretty good.

5. Jul 1, 2015 #5 of 16
    Bobwhite

Bobwhite AllStar

Nov 29, 2006
    As you know, the installer is going to do the minimum amount of work, and put the dish in the easiest location. He was basically going to run a cable down the front of my house, rather than take any time to do any type of electrical work. I was buying new tv's anyway, and the house is all prewired for cable, so I went with that option, and while I had the electrician running some network cables for me, I had him run some extra wires for the dish, in case I came back. It was that or go without any tv for about 45 days. I've had some horrendous install's while upgrading with DTV over the years, they've damaged my house and had to pay for it, and then a guy almost electrocuted himself by drilling into a wall without looking at what was behind it first. So I'm pretty sceptical going in.

6. Jul 1, 2015 #6 of 16
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I don't see anything Bold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

7. Jul 1, 2015 #7 of 16
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    In what he posted:

and spending a ton for some electrical work to put things where I want,

1 person likes this.
  8. Jul 1, 2015 #8 of 16
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Thanks.
    But it's not showing up bold for me lol.
    Must be a TAPATALK issue like always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9. Jul 1, 2015 #9 of 16
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't use that, but, you might have it set for plain text. ???

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you haven't been getting fairly regular offers to come back, you may have to wait a few months (five or more?) so you can qualify for new customer promotional deals.

In any case, only DIRECTV can tell you how they are going to treat you.

Some retail outfits have bonus offers but that usually requires that you're a new customer as well.

11. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    I didn't get any "please come back" offers until about 24 months after I terminated. I'd love to take one of them, but I'd have to give up OTA metv, which I get with the Dish DVR, and that's a deal killer.

12. Bobwhite

Bobwhite AllStar

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks to all for the advice. I'm just going to give them a call and see how I do, but I'm coming back to DTV either way. I can't stay with TWCable any longer. The remote is horrible, and the on demand is limited compared to DTV, and they don't have the NFL package, which is a deal killer.

13. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    I was a long time Directv customer who left for a better offer from my local cable company (Brighthouse). They made me an offer that would give me their premium package and internet for $150, including taxes and no contract. So, I decided to take them up on that because I was not in a contract with DTV, thus no ETF's.

Within 1 week, I began getting offers through my email to return to Directv. Not long after that, I got an offer in the mail that was better than the offer I got in the email. And it came at the right time because I found out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Not to knock Brighthouse. They have quite a few HD channels that DTV does not have, and the PQ was pretty good. But the on-screen guide drove me crazy, and the DVR would cut every show that I recorded short by about 1 minute. Now, I could have extended every show through the options menu, but that's just a pain in the posterior.

So, I took DTV up on their "win back" offer and got the Ultimate package, HBO, Starz, Showtime, and the other movie channels free for 3 months, and the Sunday Ticket for free at a super great price for 12 months. I kept the Road Runner internet because nobody around here can match their speed for the price I pay.

I will admit that it was nice seeing HSN in HD, but it just wasn't enough for me to continue with Brighthouse.

If you haven't received an email or regular mail asking you to come back, call them.

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm contemplating coming back to satellite myself. While my local cable has the channels I really do watch, the PQ isn't as good as either sat service. And there are oft times video and audio glitches that are very irritating. The audio especially because sometimes when that glitches I lose all audio on the playback and I have to stop it and exit out and then back in. That gets very, very old after awhile.

What I'm not sure of is which sat service I'll come back to. From an operational standpoint E* wins hands down. The Hopper/SuperJoey combo is so slick and well done that it is hard not to select E*. But then, I sub to all the Premium almost all the time and D* has more of them than E*. Epix has no real allure as they repeat incessantly for months on end similar to what Voom was doing in its final throws.

Cost between the two at the level I would be at is less than a five dollar bill a month, so that isn't an actual factor. With D* the HR44 would be fine by itself while with E* I would need Hopper+SuperJoey with the 'up' fee to get the SJ .

15. Bobwhite

Bobwhite AllStar

Nov 29, 2006
    Update: I got a nice offer to return to DTV, without even asking. I was refunded my entire early cancelation fee, free Sunday Ticket Max, reduced bill for the next 12 mos, a $200 visa card and free install. I didn't ask for a thing, so I feel I got a tremendous deal to return, and I had already made up my mind I was returning anyway.

The install guys were the usual clown show, two guys from Egypt with a 24 foot ladder on the hood of a rusted out Subaru. :eek2:

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    All except for the install guys sounds good.
    Thanks for the update.