Longtime Genie user, looking to add rooms, not contract. Help?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Michael Rhodes, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Michael Rhodes

Michael Rhodes New Member

Dec 11, 2018
    So, I have a genie and 3 mini wireless clients, and the system has been great for me. An occasional freezeup but nothing bad.

My contract ends in 5 days, and I'm looking to add rooms and readd discounts to my bill that are expiring.

I called yesterday to loyalty and tried to add 2 wireless genie boxes, but he said it kept forcing him to add contract. He put me on hold, and got a tech on the line, and he said I cant have more than 3 wireless boxes which is why it was really blocking the order, but he could send me wired clients no problem. He mentioned the 3 clients at a time, and said he could send DVRs instead. I asked if those would work where all programming would be on all boxes and he said no. We proceeded with the wired client order (for free) assured me there would be no contract at all for this, and the install is set a couple weeks out.

I came home to further research and found that I can have more than 3 wireless boxes connected, just cant use more than 3 at a time, but now I'm thinking I should change the order to HR24 DVRs.

It seems I can see all recordings on all DVRs, I canNOT set a recording from a DVR to record ON the genie, which is prob not a big deal.

Question, can I pause rew, ff, and DELETE a genie recording FROM an HR24 DVR? Can I pause, rew, ff, and DELETE a recording on the DVR FROM the genie or genie client?

If internet is only connected wirelessly to the whole home, can I access full on demand features from a DVR if it is only connected by coax cable in a basement wire nest point that feeds out to each room? (main genie is up on the main floor above the basement, but coax reaches up there now and is connected to the genie?

Does ANYONE ever get this type equipment added by loyalty department without adding 2 years to contract? I was told the current order for wired clients would NOT come with ANY contract, but the email we got last night (which might be a form letter) clearly says upon receiving any new equipment, once the installer is done, I'll be required to sign a 24 month contract agreement, and early termination is $10 per remaining month. I don't plan to leave DTV, but I just hate being under required contracts.

2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    1) Yes you can watch, FF, REW, DEL from any box from any other box as long as you have that feature enabled in settings.

2) Yes you can access OnDemand from any of the boxes including DVR's.

3) It has been my experience that anytime I get new equipment, except replacements, it triggers a new contract.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    jimmie57 likes this.
  3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There's no way you'll get new equipment, or more discounts, without extending your contract. You get something you want, they get something they want...

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In the last year I have received two (2) $60 discounts without extending my comittment. It certainly can be done. I got $120, they got zip.

Rich

5. Michael Rhodes

Dec 11, 2018
    Yea, I know for a fact I can get discounts without a committment, but Im not certain if its possible to get equipment without a commitment.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I believe that adding receivers / clients is considered an upgrade to your service and does therefore call for an extension of the contract. Not sure if it is 1 year or 2.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have to admit I was surprised each time it happened.

Rich

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only thing with 'new' HR24s: If you use the DIRECTV Mobile app and want to copy shows to a tablet to watch outside of your house, the show has to be recorded on the HR44/54 Genie (not HR34 Genie). Shows from other DVRs can't be transcoded/copied to a mobile device.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    One way to add service to additional TV's, without adding a new commitment is to get RVU TV's. Since no DirecTV equipment is required, no new commitment is required.

10. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You are at the mercy of the tv maker for software updates though.

11. Michael Rhodes

Dec 11, 2018
    Well, I'm trying to find out now b phone if these additional boxes are going to require a contract, but during the call last night, the guy was very intelligent, and seemed quite transparent in what his system showed and what he could do, and he assured me repeatedly that my contract would not be extended beyond the remaining 5 day I have under contract with these new boxes, so I was surprised when the email came stating 24 months.

i'm calling the loyalty department and trying to get this straight and trying to get these genie boxes cancelled, but sof ar I've called 4 times, and each time they try to transfer me to a supervisor, I ultimately wait a while and get cut off, and noone calls me back. I may have to set up a service cancel date before I can get some action.

12. Michael Rhodes

Dec 11, 2018
    Ok, so finally reached the guy I delt with last night. He said if I was taking client mini boxes he could send them with NO contract extension and waive install fees. He said if I wanted HDDVRs then they were normally 199 each and a 2 year deal. We finally haggled down to I pay $99, and I do get a 2 year contract. They put a new $40 discount on my bill for 12 months and I keep the $60 a month discount I have for 9 more months, and they are sending me a $100 giftcard (that and the $40 off were discussed last night). The giftcard was a bonus but now paying for a DVR its basically a wash.

He went and spoke with others in his department and he swears an HD DVR will NOT interact and share playlists and such a genie, but multiple online threads of users say otherwise. This route gives me 4 more tuners on 2 more TVs that can work fully regardless of how many boxes and tuners on the genie are being used.

Overall my package bill total with 6 boxes and the package just below ultimate, should remain right at $90 a month after taxes.

Anyone have specific instructions on what needs to be enabled to let all DVRs share playlists and let these standalone DVRs share the internet through coax only?

For this pricing level, I don't plan to leave them, not interested in fully cord cutting so Im happy with this overall.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I could have missed it but I can not find your actual receiver / Genie model in these posts.
    There are currently 4 of them. HR34, HR44, HR54 and the latest HS17.
    Please tell us which model you have. It is important to give you the correct answer as to whether the HR24's will work with your Genie.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What Genie do you have???

The only Genie that won't work with the other DVRs is the HS17/Genie 2. If that is what you have, then the HR24s won't work. HR44 or HR54 and you're good to go.

15. Michael Rhodes

Dec 11, 2018
    When I log into my account and check my equipment details it says I have an HR54 genie, and then wireless genie minis. I KNOW its not a genie 2. I've had this genie since July 2016. Genie 2 wasn't out then to my knowledge.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The 54 and the HR2x models play nice together. Should be no problems.

17. Michael Rhodes

Dec 11, 2018

My apologies for skipping this detail. Mine is an HR54 with 3 wireless clients. Trying to add 2 HR24s to it. The phone rep never used the word HR24, he just kept saying HDDVR. To my knowledge the HR24 is the only one they would have short of Genie. He says they wont work together, but I've seen enough posts on various forums that say they will.

Side note, one room where i want to put one of these DVRs, I am going to drop a wire there. Its a room I built, a dedicated theatre room and my equipment rack is behind my screen. I have a conduit that reaches from the rack to the adjacent Air conditioner closet in the basement.

From that AHU closet, the coax needs to reach the storage area under my basement stairs where several coax wires come together for the house wiring. I'll need to fish wire across a ceiling pocket from that AHU closet to under the stairs.

I'm thinking of pulling a string through there with my fishtape this weekend, and when the guys come, and bring THEIR wire, just have them tie on their cable and pull it through across the ceiling there and through the conduit to the final spot. I figure they prob wont call that "nonstandard install" vs if I say fish this wire across here, it might. The fishing will not require any ceiling cutting, but its easier with two people. What do you think? Should I just not bother and let them run it through entirely on their time? Me and my nephew got a piece of 120v wire through that area a few months ago just took about 15 minutes to find the right spot.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have wires to any of the locations?

If you are upgrading and have to get a new contract anyway I’d say there’s a couple other things to consider...

Do you have any 4K TVs?

Do you have plenty of recording space and series links a single today?

If so I’d get a genie 2 hs17 and skip the old DVRs. And 4K clients for any TVs that are 4K. Or will be anytime in the next year or two if you have any plans to update any of them..

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The training of customer support personnel continues to be a challenge with AT&T/DIRECTV. They should know that the 34/44/54 Genies function with other receivers and that the HS17/Genie 2 will only work with clients. Pretty easy concept to understand. First information they should have ascertained is what equipment you have installed.

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Yes.