1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lookee what I got last night!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Carl Spock, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Some of you know I owned a home and car stereo store for upteen years. I still do work for a couple of customers who became friends. I never charge anyone anything over parts anymore and they respect my time, so it's a good deal for both of us.

One of them, Pete, called me to give me a pair of speakers he didn't want any longer. I was over at his house yesterday to pick them up and he said he had another piece he wanted to get rid off. When he told me what it was, I started salivating, telling the man I'd pay him good money for it. A Sony RDR-HX715, it's a DVR/DVD recorder I sold Pete about 8 years ago. I knew it had something you just can't find anymore: component video and Toslink audio inputs.

I don't want to transfer much from my DVRs but what I want to save, I really want to save. Just after George Carlin died, HBO ran a marathon of all eleven of his great stand-up specials. I have them on my HR20-700 and really need to get them off of it. This piece will work great for that. I can transfer them to the Sony's internal hard drive and then burn them in their original OAR to DVDs. The RDR-HX715 isn't perfect. It won't accept an input resolution greater than 480i and I can't insert chapter marks on the DVD but I can live with those limitations. Did I mention it has component video and Toslink inputs? :p

In the end, I didn't have to pay for the recorder. My buddy just wanted his own copy of the George Carlin specials. Glad to do it, Pete.

Attached Files:

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Awesome! Makes me wonder how much of this pre-analog-hole-closing gear will become supervaluable in the future.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'm also hopeful on the resolution figures when I test it out. I just read a CNET review where they found it recorded at greater resolutions off of a DVD through the component inputs. I'm just accepting it won't take 720p or 1080i in from Amazon reviews. I'll find out for sure. In any case, I think it will work just fine.

And these are the speakers I got: a pair of Bang and Olufsen Pentas. They are a three way system and have a 150 watt amp in each speaker. They are huge but with their stainless steel five sided cabinet, look great.

Pete's a good friend.

Attached Files:

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    So will the DVR/DVD recorder give you better results than the many video capture devices out there? My Hauppauge 1212 has component inputs; it's really intended for HD but you can of course vary the resolutions.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    No. I've looked at the Hauppauge and it is a better piece. For full HD transfers, it will make a better copy.

With George Carlin comedy routines, I don't care. I'll live with the lower resolution. Plus this box, being a piece of consumer electronics, has the advantage of portability. I can put it in a rack of similar electronics and it will look at home. I can program this piece into my Harmony remote for easy operation (the supplied remote is typical Sony and sucks).

In fact, thinking this through right now, this DVD recorder will go into my home theater component rack and I'll move my HR20 out of the basement and back into that system. Once I get everything I want off of it, I'll swap the HR20 out for my HR23 and copy a few other shows (on that DVR I have the Green Acres episode about the hen that lays square eggs, maybe the most surreal half hour of comedy ever on television).

Plus this Sony piece had the advantage of being free. Isn't the Hauppauge around $400?

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    How about the April Fool's day episode where in the intro Eva Gabor does the Eddie Albert part and vise versa?

Looks like about $183 on Amazon right now.
    But I only use their software for recording, can't say anything about their supplied editing or burning stuff as I use VideoReDo instead, added cost for someone that wanted better programs.

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I didn't realize how much the Hauppauge piece compressed their HD video until today when I read they were letting your record two hours of HD video on a standard DVD for playing back on a Blu-ray player. Huh? How do they do that? The answer is compression.

Their own website says their PVR records at 5 Mbits/sec. That's maybe a third of broadcast HD bitrates. I also found a recent post by VOS where over the course of a program he discovered DirecTV's bit rates going from a high of 16 Mbits/sec to a low of 6 Mbits/sec.

Plus somehow I mistakenly thought the Hauppauge box had a DVD recorder built into it. It doesn't. You need to get one to make a DVD, or I assume you can use a DVD recorder built into a computer.

This is not to disparage the Hauppauge box. It is great for what it does. Still, I'll take my find from last night. While it doesn't do HD, everything I need to make perfectly adequate DVDs from my DVR is all right there.

8. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Recording bit rates are adjustable on the Hauppauge. I always use 13Mbs myself, want a computer file to manipulate, and for DBSTalk purposes to make screen caps.

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that about the Hauppauge. It does look very cool to me.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Who is the lovely lady holding up those B&O's???

11. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Is that what we call them now?.;):D

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've got two! :goofygrin

13. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have a Panasonic DMR-E75V DVD/VHS recorder from 2004. At best record mode, it records 60 minutes (on DVD-R or DVD-RAM) at about 10 Mbps with over 500 lines horizontal resolution, and 2 channel Dolby Digital audio. Unfortunately, the line inputs are limited to S-Video and RCA analog audio. Interestingly, it does provide component video output and optical digital audio output. Video response is stated as being 0+/- 3 db at 4 MHz. Audio response at that mode is +/- 3 db from 20 Hz to 20 KHz.
    I recorded several shows from INHD on Dish back in '05. They play back in 480p and upconvert to 1080i on my HDTV. I'd also recorded several shows from HDNET on a Sanyo DVD+R recorder that play back nicely on this unit.
    PQ and sound are quite good.