Looking for a cheaper package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RVD26, May 5, 2009.

1. May 5, 2009 #1 of 18
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I currently have the Premier package, but even with a $10 monthly credit, my bill is over $130/month.
    I'm looking at cutting the cost, but D*'s website is kind of confusing in terms of finding out exactly what channels I would lose by dropping down a package or two and what the cost would be.

Here is a copy of my latest bill:

I think I could do without the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channels b/c honestly I hardly ever watch them and there's not much on I like when I go to these channels anyway.
    I do want to keep my sports channels like NBATV and NFL Network.
    I could do without most of the RSN's but I do want to keep my local one here (FSN Houston).
    I could part away with the HD extra pack (the only channel I watch is Paladia).

So which setup would save me the most money, but also allow me to keep the channels I really want?

2. May 5, 2009 #2 of 18
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    On the DirecTV website - Select Packages in the gray bar and then Channels. I agree that they need to create a simple list instead of the channel logos under each package. However there is a print option for each packages.

3. May 5, 2009 #3 of 18
    doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    choice extra DVR HD will give you everything you describe except for NBA. That will save you 44 dollars a month. To get NBA back you either have to get the NBA package, or add the sports pack for 12.99 which will give you all the other RSN's too.

4. May 5, 2009 #4 of 18
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That being said as soon as the NBA season is over you could drop the sports pack as the NBA channel will be part of other packages next year and not part of the sports pack anymore.

5. May 5, 2009 #5 of 18
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Thanks.

6. May 5, 2009 #6 of 18
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Wow, that's good news to know.
    I wouldn't really need NBA TV until next season anyway as all the remaining playoff games are on TNT, ESPN, and ABC (I think).
    Looks like I might go with the Choice Extra DVR HD package and then maybe add the Sports package for the RSNs when college football and basketball seasons start.
    What other channels besides the RSNs are in the Sports Pack?

7. May 5, 2009 #7 of 18
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I recently dropped down to the Choice Extra + HD DVR package from Premier. My wife and I found that we were not watching HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channels often if at all and since dropping to the new package really have not missed any of the channels we no longer receive.
    Originally the Premier package pretty much was (with some exceptions noted for those who will defend it) "everything bundled together for one price". With the addition of the separate HD Access fee, DVR fee (I was grand fathered but still), and HD Extra Pack fee added on top of the already high price of the Premier package it has become not as much of a good deal anymore, IMHO.
    Honestly I think it is high time that DirecTV rethink/reprice/repackage the Premier package. It is my observation, although on a very small and most likely statistically insignificant sample size, that their has been many folks moving off of the Premier package, many dropping to the more reasonable Choice Extra + HD DVR package.

8. May 5, 2009 #8 of 18
    ShawnL25

ShawnL25 Icon

Mar 2, 2007
    In Houston with Choice plus HD DVR you'd pay 75.99 and still get MLB, NFL, NHL, GOlf, Vs. CBS CS, and the ESPNs less espnu. As far as RSN 676-679 or FSN SW plus San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and OK City.

9. May 5, 2009 #9 of 18
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I agree.
    I have been on a promotional plan up until recently so the cost has really been a shocker.
    The cost of the Premier package has been increased by $10/month since I signed up in Sept of '07.
    Plus, we've been hit an extra $5/month for the HD Extra package.
    In this economy, people are trimming the fat on their budgets and TV service is usually one of the first places to start.
    Besides if I do want to watch movies, I can always subscribe to Netflix (where I can watch Blu-rays in TRUE 1080p).

10. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Thanks, this looks like the package to go with.

11. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Thanks for the help, everyone.
    I downgraded to the Choice Extra + HD DVR package last night
    Hopefully my monthly bills will be a lot lower now

12. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    Congrats!

Make sure you have the "Plus HD DVR" package as opposed to Choice XTRA w/ HD + DVR, and it will save you an extra $1. (Small change yes, but in this economy...) Plus if you sign up for Starz before May 9th you could get a $25 rebate if you keep it for 2 months, making it basically free.

13. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    What's the difference between the two?
    I don't even see the first package you mentioned on the website. :confused:

14. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    Choice Xtra is the same programming as Plus HD DVR, just that the latter has DVR and HD service bundled into the price. It's listed at the D* web page as "Choice Xtra + HD DVR" like you mentioned, but on your bill it will show as "Plus HD DVR". if the services are listed separately on the account then it adds to $1 more, so I was just meaning to say to make sure you get the bundled price. Just look at your account online and it will either say PLUS HD DVR or it will list CX, DVR, and HD service separately.

15. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    In the same situation as you. Was paying $148 a month after credits ended. Currently I get:

Choice Xtra + HD DVR

Basic package $75.99
    Locals $0.00
    HD $0.00
    DVR service $0.00
    2 extra SD TVs $10.00
    Sports Pack $12.99
    Protection Plan $5.99
    Tax $5.25
    Total $110.22

This is actually cheaper than dropping down to Choice!

16. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    They really need to go back to the a la carte option. At least make it an option. Because I too am getting pretty sick of paying $125+/month. I hardly ever watch HBO/Showtime/Skinimax, etc but I DO watch a lot of Starz Westerns (favorite channel when it's not football season). I would LOVE to drop all BUT Starz. I would like to keep the Sports nets, and will keep paying for NFL-Sunday Ticket, which is the sole reason I went to DirecTV way back in 1994 when you paid both DirecTV and USSB!

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    So drop HBO/MAX if you don't watch them. That will save you some $$

18. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I too would like to see ala-carte service. I currently pay over $50/mth and watch maybe 20 channels.