1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a remote that a quadriplegic can use from bed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by dbassman55, Mar 24, 2018.

1. dbassman55

dbassman55 New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    USA
    I am a C4/5 quadriplegic (paralyzed from the shoulders down) and when in bed I currently use a Tash Relax II for my remote control. It's a universal learning remote that I can store 50 codes into. I use a buddy button that I press with my head or cheek to operate it. I have been using this for many years and it works great, I love this remote! The only problem is, it has also been discontinued for many years and is no longer learning codes for the newer electronics. I updated my DirecTV and to my surprise it would not learn the code for the new Genie HR54 receiver I also purchased a 4K Sony TV which it would not learn the codes to. Fortunately my Amazon echo will operate the TV, but DirecTV has not gotten a skill for the echo to operate their DVR's yet.

So I'm now looking for a newer remote that I can use from bed and am looking for advice from anyone on the forum to help me out. I've seen several voice operated remotes out there, but the ratings are anywhere from great to terrible. One thing I question with a voice operated remote and/or Alexa/echo operated remote is when you're fast forwarding through commercials being able to stop fast forwarding when the commercials are over with outgoing way into the program is one watching.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DIRECTV has a voice control app. I'm not sure if that will help.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL

Litzdog911 posted on the AT&T site a solution that might be better: Amazon Echo device (there are multiple versions now) along with a Harmony Remote & Smart Hub. You can control your DIRECTV DVR and TV all via voice commands to the Echo.

Harmony Hub-Smart Home Control-Logitech

And there are probably other voice options too -- Sirius? Google?

4. dbassman55

dbassman55 New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    USA
    I wasn't familiar with the DirecTV voice, however that will not do me much good as it is difficult for me to work a smart phone also.

I have an Echo Dot and knew about the Logitech Harmony, but was hoping to find someone who actually has one or has used one prior to purchasing one so I knew how well they worked. I have read several reviews on it there anywhere from fantastic to terrible.

I have seen a few others Google, but the harmony seems to be the best choice, I was just hoping to find someone with first hand knowledge of it.

Thanks for your help.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I was going to post a link to the Harmony Hub forums, but I see you just posted your question there. Good luck.