1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an install for dummie book

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bbbobnca, Jun 6, 2013.

1. bbbobnca

bbbobnca New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    CA
    Ok let me start with if you ask me a Harley question/issue I can answer that. Ask me a question about an LMB attached to a TDY because of a WGAS I'm in deep poop.....so treat me kindly to start.

Long story short I'm going back to directv with a genie and a 4 tv setup. From what I can tell there looks like there is one cable that comes of the physical dish that connects to some type of splitter/hub/router ( what every you call it) and then from there you have 4 cables that go to the one dvr and the 3 mini's. If this is correct then here is my questions.

1) is the splitter/hub/ router.....from here on I will call it.....on the dish itself?
    2) If not will this be installed out side the house or does/could it go in the attic?
    3) Is there an issue with distance to where it can be?
    4) Does it need power?

I dislike having holes drilled in the outside walls. I want to make sure the cables are at least run down the walls to the wall plates before they get here. I'm trying to get everything in on location so they can hook everything up.

One last question and its the biggie.... What questions should I have asked that I did not?
    Thanks for the help

2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    1) The LNB will house the SWM (single wire multiswitch) and you will have a single cable that goes to a 4-way splitter for your settup.
    2) The splitter can be in your preferred location(mine is inside, behind a TV). It can be inside or outside.
    3) Distance of the splitter or the entire run from the dish? You won't have any issues unless you're talking about lengths of 200' or greater.
    4) The splitter will not need power though the dish will. A power inserter will be installed(generally inside the home near a receiver) and it will send power back to the dish through the coax.

This all is assuming you are getting the Genie and 3 clients. If you elect for other receivers that would put you over 8 tuners, the confirguration would be almost entirely different.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Suffice it to say that all you need will be installed by someone from (or contracted by) DIRECTV unless you contract with some other authorized installer.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you want to run coax in advance, you need to carefully consider several things.
    1. You should use nothing but solid copper core RG6 coax. Don't use copper clad steel (typically found at your local home improvement store).
    2. Make sure you use high quality compression connectors. No crimp on or twist on.
    3. You can put the splitter pretty much wherever you want, but keep the following in consideration:
    .....(a ) The dish has to have line of sight to the satellites. Check www.dishpointer.com to help determine about where your dish might be located.
    .....(b ) The dish should be grounded and the coax from the dish needs to go through a ground block before it enters your house, so make sure it is reasonably convenient to say your electrical entrance.
    .....(c ) Leave plenty of excess coax outside to allow flexibility as to dish location. Or, better yet, let the installer take care of the run from the dish to the splitter.
    4. The installer will provide the splitter, just have the coax runs available at the desired splitter location. There are specific requirements for the splitter which is why you want to let them install it.
    5. As someone noted, a power inserter (power supply for the dish) will be located someplace inside. It typically goes near one of the TV locations. I would put it on the shortest coax run.
    6. Somewhere in your system, you need access to your local area network (LAN) for internet access. Only one point, probably near the Genie if possible.