looking for best option

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stetterhawk, Apr 29, 2019.

1. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    Longtime reader of the great information shared here on dbstalk.

I am thinking about upgrading my equipment

I currently have 2 hr20-700 boxes. They are both of the age when they first came out (a long long time ago, don't remember how long) . We used 2 tvs then, but now only have one and keep using the 2 hr20 to be able to record 4 shows at once. They both are a little glitchy/slow but still work.We still have a slimline dish with 4 wires out. I did the dish and wire install myself. We are buying a new Samsung 65"OLED. Have not keep up on Dvr types and amount of tuners in each. I know I need to upgrade but not sure of best options. Have been DTV since Pegasus turned into DTV. First dish went up in 1998. Looking for a few ideas.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    With two old boxes like that, you're stand a good chance of getting an upgrade for 'free'.....two more years under contract. But you've been here since 1998, so you're probably not going anywhere.

For 1 TV (not sure if you're keeping your current TV): If you want 4K, you best is an HS17 Genie 2 and a C61K. The HS17 genie is the head unit that does all the work -- DVR, hard drive for storage, etc. The HS17 doesn't output audio/video directly to a TV. It has to be connected to a mini (e.g. client), which for you would be the C61K.

For 2 TVs: The HS17 and two (2) minis. Or:
    An HR54 Genie is with a C61K C61K connected to your 4K TV and the HR54 connected to your old TV.

stetterhawk likes this.
  3. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    No we will be only using the one tv. How many channels can you record and what else has to be upgraded ? do you pay for both units as one or is there a separate charge

4. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    we won't be changing providers, no cable no other provider except Dish and we like what we get with DTV

5. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    I also spent a lot of time looking for info on the new DVRs but never found the info I was looking for

6. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I would re-read trh’s Post and go from there.....either option will work for you.

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    To expand on what trh said:

With one 4K TV, your best bet is an HS17 and a C61K. The HS17 is a server only (no video or audio outputs), so you need the C61K for 4K viewing. You connect the C61K to your TV.

They will charge you for a one TV setup (not for two devices).

The HS17's description says:

Up to 7 HD simultaneous streams including 2-4K streams (5-HD + 2-4K)
    2TB of Storage (450 hours of HD content)

So, you'll be able to record and watch more channels at the same time than you can now.

Your alternative would be to get an HR54 instead of the HS17. You would have a similar number of tuners that you have now (I think 5), but I believe you would be charged for a two TV setup. (The HR54 and C61K can both be hooked to TVs.) If you do not care about 4K, then you could go with just the HR54 at your one TV (eliminating the C61K) and be charged for a one TV setup.

(It's the C61K that gives you the 4K picture, and must be paired with an HS17 or HR54.)

stetterhawk likes this.
  8. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Since you are only looking at only one TV, HS17 single point failure and inability to support DVR's is a non-issue. (I have an HR54 + 8 other DVR's, including a pair of HR20's).

Samsung does not manufacture an "emissive" "Organic LED" OLED TV.
    Samsung manufactures a "transmissive" "Quantum-Dot LED" QLED TV.
    The QLED is still backlit panel technology, a term coined by Samsung as a marketing ploy to confuse buyers into thinking you're getting something you're not.

compnurd likes this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Are you sure? Samsung doesn't make OLEDs :D.

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    My other (more helpful) comment would be:

Check if the 4K content that DirecTV has now is something you'll ACTUALLY be interested in. Are you going to pay $8 - $30 for 4K VOD? Are you going to watch the 4K sports content? Are you going to watch a few 4K documentaries that are on endless loops? If you aren't going to do any of that, the HR54 is probably a better choice for you. The HS17 setup requires 2 boxes and you're connected to the low power client, whereas with the HR54, you're connected directly to the high powered server.

If you want REAL 4K (the full 108Mbps), the only way to do that is with a UHD player. What streaming providers and DirecTV give you is closer to the 15Mbps. Yup, that big of a difference.

As a side note, you'll want to make sure your TV supports the 3 main HDR formats: HDR, DolbyVision and HLG. If it doesn't, I honestly wouldn't buy it unless you plan on buying a new TV in a few years.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    stetterhawk likes this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup! Notice they specifically picked the Q because it looks very close to an O. That's up there with AT&T's "5G" icon.

12. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Samsung makes very good 4K TV's. The point he's making is that there are even better ones.

My LG OLED is superb. But, as Hammer says - you need 4K content to take full advantage of either TV. We're using an Apple TV 4K and DirecTV. We watch way more 4K content from Netflix and Prime Video on the Apple than we do the 4K content offered by DirecTV.

13. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    Sorry I meant QLED

14. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    Sledgehammer your advice to check for DTV content sound good. What do you mean by you're connected directly to the high powered server.
    Taking this all in. but still wondering about change to Sat dish and wiring and other parts of install, still have old 4 wire system

15. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
  16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He means you can connect the 54 directly to your TV set. With the 17s you have to have a C61K and the C61K will serve your TV set. Meanwhile, the 17 just sits there serving the C61K. There is no way to connect a 17 to a TV set. With the 17s you get more tuners and a larger hard drive than the 54. We do see a lot of complaints about problems that seem to be caused by the C61Ks.

Rich

17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    With the HR54, you can connect your TV directly to the HR54 (which is the high powered server). With the HS17, they went to a headless model, so you can't connect your TV to the HS17, you need to connect to a low powered client. With the HR54, you can obviously have clients as well, but you'd want your main TV connected directly to the HR54 for the best experience. But... the HR54 can't output 4K, only 1080P.

So... that's why I suggested you check out the 4K content DirecTV has available :).

Bottom line:

If you don't care about the 4K content right now, I'd say get the HR54
    If you do care about the 4K content right now, I'd say get the HS17

Rich likes this.
  18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In this case, if he really wants 4K content, I'd think either would be a good choice.

Rich

19. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Except, as I said much earlier here, he has only one TV. The HS17 setup would cost less per month (I think).

SledgeHammer likes this.
  20. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    ok I think I understand receiver diff, but still wondering about diff for install from 4 wire older style dish system