Looking for local installer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by coreykunak, Sep 12, 2021.

1. coreykunak

coreykunak New Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Hello
    I am looking to see if anyone know if i can find a local installer? zip 07676.
    I have tried to get service in the past and they will not install due to trees.
    I have found a spot that i am 90% sure will work via the dish point app. (i know it can not be 100% accurate)

that spot would need a pole mount. they said they don't do pole mounts.

any ideas or suggestions?

thank you

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That's bullsh*t. A few months ago I had DIRECTV relocate my dish from my roof to a pole mount due to tree growth interfering with the LOS.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Pole mounts are quite common in the current policy environment where anything other than the edges of roofs are substantially off limits.

AT&T's in-house approach to doing installs hasn't made it easy for third parties to be involved in residential installs so it is a lot harder to find alternatives.

4. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Poll mounts are also necessary when a subdivision/development has an active ACC/HOA that does not permit dish antennas on a roof. There are several of them around where I live.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Legally they can't stop anyone from putting a dish on the roof unless it is a condo association and they maintain/insure the roofs themselves.

6. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Maybe in your area. HOA’s can be even more restrictive than local zoning restrictions (plenty of case law out there), including single family homes. My statement stands, as I’m in the business/industry.

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There's a federal law called OTARD that overrides what an HOA or local zoning ordinances are permitted to do. It mandates that people can't be prevented from installing satellite dishes or OTA antennas so long as they are under 39" in size.

Restrictions can only be enforced that do not impair the use of those antennas. So they could say "no dishes on your roof visible from the street" and if you could put it on the back side of your roof or on a pole in the backyard, then you aren't allowed to have it installed on the roof. But if trees made it so only the front roof of your house will work legally they cannot prevent you from having one installed there.

I have a friend who fought with his HOA in court over this about a decade ago. He won, and was able to force them to pay his legal expenses (which were substantial, since they kept fighting him) so I know it works though I suppose the reason why HOAs still have restrictions knowing they are illegal is because most people don't care enough to right them. Or are worried the HOA will come after them for every picky little thing like having painting their mailbox the wrong color.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wish OTARD was that clear. The biggest exception in OTARD - antenna locations NOT protected - is common areas. If your desired antenna placement is in a common area or extends beyond an area of exclusive control it can be blocked.

9. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    We're aware of that here, and we have no zoning restriction that prohibits satellite dishes. In Alaska, there is no limit to the size of dish under OTARD. In general if a pole mount gets clear signal, it's not unreasonable for the local HOA's to request that instead of a roof mount (as long as the cost is not unreasonable). Most HOA's around here only last 20-25 years then if not renewed the owner can do what the want on the single family homes in that subdivision. Most of the newer subdivision lots are created from farm fields and don't have 50' trees on them so it hasn't been an issue.

I just spoke with a DirecTV installer in my area on a jobsite today- they still do plenty of pole mounts for new DirecTV customers here. Maybe not everywhere, but it still happens.

10. Claude A Greiner

Claude A Greiner DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 7, 2018
    Commercial or residential account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk