Looking for OTA tv tuner/decoder guide/rankings

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by otatvwatcher, Feb 22, 2021.

1. otatvwatcher

otatvwatcher New Member

Feb 22, 2021
    I live in a fringe area for receiving OTA digital TV signals. Have a Panasonic Plasma w/o tuner (using Mediasonic tuner) and a Samsung PN43F4500AF (integrated tuner)

The Samsung decodes the same signal much better, many more channels than the stand alone Mediasonic. I have tried both the HW180STB and then the HW130STB when the 180 died.

I would like to find a great stand alone tuner that can beat (or at least match) the signal decoding of the integrated Samsung unit. TIA

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    IF you can find one - the Samsung DTB-H260F was an excellent tuner when it came out. It needs its remote, or one that matches it well (such as a Harmony). Failing that - DIsh had a DVR (DISH DTVPAL-DVR) that alos worked pretty good. However it came with a pretty small HD - but you might be able to upgrade it to a 1GB if you can find the right one.

The other thing you can try is to make sure your OTA antenna is what you need.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    last model is DVR+ aka K77 (see Avsforum long thread)

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not have this but I have an older Channel Master DVR and I am happy with it.
    It has been replaced with a TIVO now. If you have not seen this I think it is worth a look.
    TiVo Edge for Antenna With All-In Service - Subscription Free DVR for Antenna | TiVo (RD6F50LS) – Channel Master

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    old CM-7000DVR been replaced with CM-7500 aka K77 aka DVR+