1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for recommendation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vbush, Jun 14, 2018.

1. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    I currently have a HR44, HR24, and wireless mini. The HR24 has become nearly unusable as it takes 10+ seconds to pull up guide and even longer to directly change channels. I have done multiple resets, etc.

I understand the HR24 is the last of the HRDVRs and I don't think another HR24 would solve my problem. I don't have any problems with the wireless mini I have today and would be fine with only 5 tuners, but if the HR44 goes dead I have nothing until a replacement is sent. I looked at a H25 and as I understand it, it will work fine with whole home and you can record to HR44 and play content on the HR44. I understand you can't pause or rewind live tv as it is not a recorder.

Is this all correct? If so, would someone recommend getting a H25 or wired mini or taking my chances that a different HR24 would perform better than the one I have today?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I had an H25 and loved it. I guess the only advantage to that over another mini is if the Genie fails, you could still watch live TV via the H25. So based on your needs, either would be fine. I'd get whatever I could get free from DIRECTV.

Also, while you can't pause or rewind with the H25, my wife (who was the primary user), learned real quick to Record everything she watched on the H25. So if she needed to use those features she could. And then she would delete immediately after watching.

As part of your resets for the HR24, have you done the CLEARMYBOX? That has helped me in the past.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Also, in the HR24, have you changed the Native setting to OFF in the Display settings ?
    And, in resolutions check only the 1080i.

4. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    Thanks, I’ll try the CLEARMYBOX and check the display settings. If that doesn’t help I guess I’ll get a H25.

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    After performing a CLEARMYBOX allow 24-48 hours for everything to reload.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Your 24 is slow? So are mine. But you can't put the blame on the 24s, they're fine DVRs. Easily the best two tuner DVRs D* ever put out. So, why is your 24 so slow? How full is your HDD? Is that a stock 500GB HDD internal? The HDDs that come in the 24s are far too small, have you considered an external drive?

Do try CLEARMYBOX, it might help somewhat. Keep that HDD at less than half full, doing that will help your speed. But nothing we can do will get past the fact that the software bloat causes the slowness in all DVRs. Want to see what I mean? Buy a 2TB drive and put in place of the 500GB drive internally and you will see a really speedy 24...won't last, can't get past the SW bloat but you will be impressed. Once the HDD begins to fill up you will see a slow loss of speed. Then it will become annoying and you will be back to where you are now.

Rich

7. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    CLEARMYBOX seems to have helped a bit on the HR24 so I’ll stick with it a while longer. It’s not a full hard drive as I don’t have any recordings on it. All recordings are on HR44 which has always been very responsive. I went ahead and ran CLEARMYBOX on the HR44 too. Don’t see any difference on that one, but it has always been very responsive.

Thanks for suggestions.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There really isn't much you can do about the software bloat. I've been living with slow 24s for a long time. Not their fault, I know a new HDD will speed up any 24 but the speed will diminish quickly because of the bloat.

Rich