Looking for specific remote help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Delroy E Walleye, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Several questions:

1. Are the accessory codes the same for RC6x and RC7x remotes?

2. *Are there specific printed step-by-step programming instructions anywhere for these remotes anymore (not requiring an operating DVR) to help set up the remotes?

3. *If the codes are the same, can anyone remember the command sequence to get the RC6x remote to "play back" the programmed code for the device being controlled, so as not to have to try looking it up again?

* I just found the link that Rat Patrol had sent for the RC6x 48-page PDF manual. Thank goodness that link still worked, as I'm having absolutely no luck searching online for this info!! (I'll be sifting through for the answer to 3.)

Maybe there's one of these PDFs for the RC7x? Specifically, I'm trying to get my AVR mute/vol to work with it. (I know it's possible with the old, broken one. It had been setup with instructions from the HR44, which is currently unavailable.)

Thanks!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go here, DIRECTV Manuals: Guides for All Your DIRECTV Equipment
    Scroll down to Remote Control Manuals,
    Choose the remote using the drop down window. There is no manual for anything above the RC71 listed in the window.
    Edit:
    I just downloaded the RC71 manual and it is pretty much worthless. The instructions on the right side of the page might help.
    Most of the procedure used to program the RC6x remote will work on the RC71.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  3. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, all they got on their site is the one-page overview for the 6 and 7 remotes. Like you said, pretty much worthless for the info I'm trying to find.

Thanks for trying. Web searches aren't working for me, either.

The comprehensive 48 page PDF I referred to is exactly the type of info I'm looking for, but for the RC7x. Very useful info for the RC6x (I was able to get the codes to "play back," but I can't seem to be able to get the RC7x to program).

Still not even sure those remotes use the same codes, but I don't know why they wouldn't...

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Will your remote turn the AVR On and or Off ? My remote will only turn my old Yamaha Off using the power button with the slide selector in the AVR spot.
    If it will do that you can try using the old method in the older manual about locking the volume to a device. I can control volume and the mute function of my Yamaha using the old method.

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    My recollection from a few years ago was that the "AVR power" was only used on the RC7x to test for the proper code while programming.

After that the RC7x would only control "mute" and "volume," which is really all I need it to be able to do (in addition to its IR control for conventional H/HR receivers (non genie).

I'm not having any troubles with any of the RC6x remotes, especially now that I've found that 48-page RC6x instructional PDF.

The problem I think with the RC7x is that it doesn't have any slider switch, so without more comprehensive programming instructions I'm not sure how to "tell" it that I'm trying to program an AVR.

I had assumed that the first number of the code would tell it that, but there must be something I'm missing. There's no problem at all with TV codes, which I clearly understand need to be programmed first for any RC before a second device is allowed.

I'm also aware that once I've got the AVR code, I'll still have to "vol-lock" it to get it to work the way I want.

I think I'm just missing the proper sequence of button pushes.

But maybe it's just possible the RC7x remotes actually do need two-way interaction with a genie or client to help with further programming. Without that slide switch or some other "mysterious" type signal, I'm just not sure exactly how it's supposed to "know" what type device it's being programmed for.

I only know that trying to enter anything other than a TV code results in a red light and no luck so far...

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The codes start with different numbers for different types of devices so they did away with it on the 7x models.
    You can use the same sequence as you use on the RC6x skipping the slider instruction.
    Same with the Volume lock, etc.
    Have you tried Resetting the remote and start over with the programming. My friend has a Yamaha AVR and her RC7x remote controls her volume, etc.

7. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, I do believe some of the procedures (and "9** commands) are the same for both type remotes.

I've tried starting over. TV codes are taken without any problems, but that AVR code I'm having no luck with so far.

I'm pretty sure it's possible since my old RC71 did work with the AVR. It's just that part of the setup I'm not getting right for whatever reason.

Thanks for trying to help.

If I ever do get it figured out I'll be sure to post the exact procedure. (I think there was another user recently with a similar question of controlling an old AVR.)

jimmie57 likes this.