1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get Dish and need answers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Phil61, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Phil61

Phil61 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I live in Nashville, TN, I'm trying to get some general questions but between DISH and 3 dealers I can't get a straight answer.

After I get hooked up if I'm not happy, what is the cancellation/grace period to walk away? Two dealers say 3 days, one says 30 days and DISH says "There is no grace period sir."

Currently I have Comcast, for the stations that I receive such as HBO and FX with Comcast, I can get their free on demand service anytime. DISH tells me "You can also see Video on demands that are scheduled for example in that month.", I guess he's referring for movies or events that you pay for but he doesn't answer my question.

Finally I asked "... in my area {zip 37072} can I get local stations in my area in HD ", the reply "You can get all of the four major networks in HD". That doesn't answer my question, I'm referring to the local stations that broadcast in HD.

Help!:confused: Thanks,
    Phil

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Normally there is no grace period.

Dish does not have networks on demand like cable companies, due to bandwidth restrictions. There's some available on an HDDVR connected to broadband internet, but nowhere near the amount cable has.

Per your Zip code, you get Nashville locals. Dish offers only ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in HD in that area.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DISH currently doesn't offer much in the way of channel associated VOD programming. That's probably one of the reasons that their DVRs are so popular.

DISH also doesn't offer high speed Internet nor phone service.

What they do offer is tons of programming and some really nice DVRs at relatively good prices.

4. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    I am a dish customer in Nashville, and I love this service. I really don't know about the grace period, but the installer will get it set up right. As for HD locals, dish has the local ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX stations in HD. But it is very easy to pick up PBS, CW, MyTv, and any other digital HD channels with a simple antenna and Dish's HD receivers.

5. Phil61

Phil61 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks for the help, more help from users than the company!

snowcat, there are so many dealers, can you let me know who you used? Also snowcat how often do you lose the satellite in bad weather?

Thanks,
    Phil

6. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    I just called Dish directly, and they sent the installer. I found that to work well.

I do lose the signal occasionally during bad weather. It almost always happens during heavy rains, and even then, it usually is right at the beginning of a bad storm. It rarely lasts more than 5 to 10 minutes. I have never had a problem with snow.

This is another reason to get a simple antenna for any HD receivers you get. Even if the satellite signal is missing, you can still tune to the digital OTA signal through your box.

(On a side note, I use Comcast internet with the very basic cable subscription. I don't actually have any TV's using Comcast, but it is cheaper this way than a internet without any TV subscription).

Good luck!

7. Phil61

Phil61 New Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks snowcat,

Yeah the installers that advertise in the Sunday paper and the local one all seem to have complaints and the prices vary. The prices I've received from 3 installers so far for Classic Silver 200 with HD, include 1-HD DVR, 1- standard DVR and HBO, these prices are after the promotional period. $93.98, $73.98 & $83.98

What is the simple antenna?

So I'm hearing lots of complaints about processing fees?

Yeah I'll be keeping Comcast for Internet service, at least with Comcast the price of the Internet service is the same even if you drop TV, it will continue to cost $42.95.

Phil

8. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    What I mean by a simple antenna is just a standard "rabbit ears" indoor antenna that you can buy for $10 to $30 at Walmart or Radio Shack. It hooks right up to any Dish HD receiver in its antenna port, and then you can scan for local digital channels.

The way I have mine set up, I see channel 002-00 for Dish's HD channel 2, and channel 002-01 for the HD OTA (antenna) version of channel 2.

For a channel like MyTv30, 030-00 is a standard def Dish version, and 030-01 is the HD OTA version. I use the CW OTA version to record Smallville in HD.

You may want to check with Comcast on the internet without cable. I still see it as $59.95 if you don't have a TV cable as well.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    VOD is limited on Dish & Dirrctv because you have to your internet connection. In my case my computer is 26 feet from my TV. So in some instances it's not practicle.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...