1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to switch from Comcast.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by todd1010, Dec 27, 2008.

1. todd1010

todd1010 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2008
    My wife and I are considering switching from Comcast because the rates just keep rising and rising and it has now got to the point that I refuse to pay higher than $155 for television service.

Now, we currently have Comcast's Premier Service which basically includes all the movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) a HD-DVR box. The picture on the HD channels were pretty damn good on my Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma. But we want to know about what our monthly bill would look like after all taxes and what not.

I've been to Direct's website and we'd probably do either the "Premier Package (265+ channels)" or the "Plus HD DVR Package (200+ channels)".

I know we'd want/need 2 HD-DVR's along with the local HD channels. Can someone help with this?

2. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    I have the Plus HD DVR package and my bill looks like this:

Package-72.99
    Extra receiver/lease fee-4.99

I don't pay any taxes but that may very state to state.

Each movie channel adds another 12 bucks or so per premium movie pack and if you would like the HD extra pack it would add another 4.99.

Also if you want 2 HD-DVR's then you may have to pay some up front but that will depend on what new customer deal you may get. That goes for the package pricing as well because you may get something like free HD for 6 months for example.

Hope this helps.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    My bill for is $114/mo for two HD DVR's with all the basic channels, the Sports Pak, The HD extra pak, Starz, and Showtime, and locals.

Yours will be $3 higher give or take tax differences, as Im on a grandfathered package (old package not currently offered but equal to HD DVR package).

Subtract $12 each if you dont want sports pack, or Starz or SHOWTIME..

Second HD DVR may cost you $99-$199 up front depending what kind of deal you can work out when you order.

IF YOU WANT LOCALS WITH A ROOFTOP ANTENNA, you need to specify that when you order. Only the discontinued HR20 DVR has ATSC tuners. You will need to pay $50 for an add on ATSC tuner for eaxh DVR thats NOT a HR20 if you need OTA. Directv will NOT guarantee what receiver they send, so you may or may not have to pony up for the external tuner. Of course, if your local market has all HD network channels carried by DirecTv, it wont matter.

4. todd1010

todd1010 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I've just spoke with DirectTV and confirmed my order. She said that I will definitely get 2 of the HR-23 tuners.

We were approved for all of their deals because our credit is impeccable. But I'm confused about what all I need to pay for up front.

We want 2 HD-DVR with installation.

Now I don't understand what you meant about the local channels. I thought she said that they were included and they were High Def. Why would I need or want an additional antenna? I live in Jacksonville, Florida if this helps answer the question.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Todo1010, the CSR's will tell you a lot of things but can't promise the exact model number of a receiver that you'll get, it's whatever they loaded onto the installers van. It could be a brand new HR23 or a refurb HR20, all they can specify is a HD DVR. To guarentee what model you get you need to go with a local dealer that has his own inventory and does his own installs. Sorry, hope it does work out for you though.

6. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Not to be the glass half empty guy, but I would call Directv back and ask them to confirm the equipment on the order. The person you talk to would not have vested interest in you placing an order. I would make sure you are in fact getting 2 hddvrs, and that you haven't been charged for them. As another poster stated there is no way for a Directv sales rep to guarantee you a specific model # of receiver.

It will be many times easier to correct any errors prior to the installation date.

Good luck to you, and welcome aboard.:)

7. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007

Chances are that you will get the big 4 locals in HD from directv. Now, some people like to have the locals come from an antenna(over the air) because it is probably the best possible picture quality.

The first series of HD DVR's(HR20) came with ATSC tuners where you could just run an antenna to them but the newer receivers(HR21,22, and 23) don't.

8. Ernest_T

Ernest_T Cool Member

May 9, 2008
    Todd - hope you'll enjoy the switch over from Comcast. I made the same switch in June, and have been pleased. Being in Jacksonville, you'll receive these network stations in HD:

WTLV 12 NBC
    WJXX 25 ABC
    WAWS 30 FOX
    WTEV 47 CBS

At first glance, it doesn't appear that WJCT 7 (PBS) is offered in HD yet, but DirecTV is slowly getting PBS stations added to various markets.

Concerning the over-the-air antenna quality vs. DirecTV HD, the OTA quality might be slightly better, but I don't notice enough of a difference to put up an outdoor antenna if you don't already have one up (I'm in Tallahassee, and we just got three of the big four in HD this month). The only reason I have an (indoor) OTA antenna at all now is because we're still waiting for our ABC affiliate to be offered.

Hope this is helpful.