1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to upgrade my Directv system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gusbuf, Oct 19, 2018.

1. gusbuf

gusbuf DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Hi guys. I haven't been on here in a while. I the next couple months, I am hoping to do a complete overhaul of my family room home theater setup, which would possibly involve an upgrade of my Directv setup. Until a few minutes ago, I was not even aware of the new stand-alone 4K Genie that was introduced last year. My current setup is:

- Genie HR44-500 family room
    - HR24-500 master bedroom
    - Very old HR20-700 in basement (will no longer connect to our network no matter what, so won't share anymore in whole home)
    - H25-500 kitchen
    - Genie Mini H31-700 workout room

Definitely want 4K capabiity, As I will be upgrading a 7 year old 60" SOny KDL60ES701 TV to a 65-75" 4K capable TV. I would appreciate any and all opinions on my best options going forward. Thanks in advance!

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There is no "stand alone 4K Genie". You can upgrade your HR44 to an HR54 which still only outputs HD, and swap out one of your other boxes for a C61K client which does output 4K. You'd put that on your TV and put the HR54 on an HDTV elsewhere.

There's a newer model called HS17 which does not output video at all - supports only clients. It supports two 4K clients at once (versus only one for the HR54) but that requires you trade in ALL your existing equipment for clients so you probably don't want that.

There's not much 4K programming yet - no full time 4K channels just one or two 4K events a week (mostly sports)

3. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Slice1900, Is it possible to have two genies sharing in the same house? Could I replace the very old (circa 2006) HR20-700 with an HR54?

Regarding 4k programming, I am aware that 4K broadcasts via Directv are pretty limited at the moment. I would just like to future-proof myself for as long as possible by upgrading now as opposed to when it isn't so convenient for me down the road.

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Only one Genie per account.

5. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks for the clarification.

studechip likes this.
  6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If I am counting correctly, you have five television locations. Swapping your HR44 for an HR54, and your C41 client for a C61K client, would get you one 4K location, and keep the same overall number of viewing locations without messing with any of your other equipment. However, that obviously means you will lose all recordings on the HR44 (but those on the HR20's would remain).

The HR20 is a pretty old piece of equipment, I'm surprised you've still got two running. Given their age, you might consider dumping your entire system and going with an HS17 and five clients. Talk them out of as many C61K as you can (they can do 4K), so if you do upgrade other TVs in the future, you are still good. Also (a little acknowledged item), you can play a 4K recording on a non-4K television using a C61K client (in 1080p). So there is value in having the 4K capable client at all HD television locations.

Once you have made a decision and moved forward, let us know what you chose.

kpk001 and bmcleod like this.
  7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Unless you're going to get 2 4K TVs in the near future, I'd go with the HR54 and C61K. Put the 4K capable C61K in the family room, the HR54 in your bedroom and replace the non-working HR20 with your current HR24.

Although your first call might be get get the HR20 replaced for free (max $20 shipping and handling). After that is done, when you upgrade to 4K, you can move your bedroom HR24 to the kitchen or workout room. Gives you more storage space and recording tuners.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    When the installer shows up to set up your HR54 & C61K (he will also replace the LNB in your dish) you should ask him if he could swap out your HR20 for an HR24. Or maybe a client if you don't care about having a DVR in the basement and just want something to watch TV.

9. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    I only have one HR20-700, and it is the problem DVR at this point. My two other DVRs are and HR24 and an HR44.

10. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions. Only plan on getting one 4K TV in the near future. As trh said, should my first call be to get a free replacement for my HR20? What will they replace it with if I decide to do this in stages?

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    An HR20 will be replaced with an HR24. I took your info from your signature which says HR20-700 x 2.

12. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks carl6. Just changed my signature to reflect my current setup.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Depends on your kitchen and workout room setup. The size of the HR24 may not fit in those locations so you'd want to keep your H25 and mini.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    You'll need a C61K to bring UHD to play, and to run that in 4K, you'd need the HR54. (thus giving up the HR44.) Yes, I'd get the HR20 replaced first, but maybe you can do it all in one fell swoop.

15. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Laxguy, I do not want to lose what I have on our HR44, as it is our main recording device and is quite full at the moment. So doing everything at once is probably not my best coarse of action right now.

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    As far as your HR20 Not being on WH anymore you can try some of these suggestions if you haven't already.
    1.Check the Deca Connected Does it have 3 green lites? if so
    2. Go into the menu - settings- Internet - then reconnect the internet.
    3. if that does nothing -press the red button (next) to the Access card.
    When the receiver boots back up and tv has returned.

Repeat 1 & 2

17. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Sadly, I have already tried this a number of times. Deca's are all connected and lights on. I have tried multiple times to reconnect to the network, to no avail. This DVR is from 2006! Its had a good life and served me well in 3 different rooms of my house. It's time for it to be replaced by something current, however.

WestDC likes this.
  18. Howie

Howie Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    I bit the bullet a few weeks back and swapped an HR44 and an HR24, both full of recordings, for the HS17. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll have more stuff on the HS17 than you can possibly watch. I don't even remember what I lost.

Laxguy likes this.
  19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Agree. Last time I had to deep six a box, I had but two or three recordings I couldn't get on the new box, and they weren't important anyway.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anything lost when this happens can probably be found on line. I still watch online the same series I recorded and watched on D*, I never lost interest in those shows.

Rich