Looks like AT&T is one step closer to owning the world.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pogo, Feb 26, 2019.

1. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    AT&T-Time Warner merger: Appeals court backs AT&T acquisition of Time Warner - CNN

Oddly the justice department's argument against the merger is that AT&T will do exactly what they are already doing! It's not done yet, but almost. (one appeal left) If you ever expect to see HBO on DISH again, your only hope is the Supremes.

NYDutch likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The Supremes -- will Diana Ross be there? :cool:

Michael P and Rich like this.
  3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I remember a high school teacher told me over 50 years ago that in the future only a handful of corporations will own 90% of everything. Our choices will be limited.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same here. I had a Science teacher who told us that in the future 5 companies will own all businesses in the world.

5. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    no, not that Supremes, it's the one with a woman who's not ready to retire yet and a drunk guy who loves beer and may had done some horrible perverted stuff in his college days allegedly.

but on my personal thoughths on this update on AT&T/Warner Media merger being reenforced, i think AT&T isn't happy until they are the ones controlling the world. now all they need is to make a larger company by buying out Walmart, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and maybe ExxonMobil, and all the biggest phramaceutical company at the same time (which is a very unlikely thing to happened, but i only names those companies off to hammer the point of AT&T's world domination plan).

Sent from my RCT6873W42M using Tapatalk

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Even with TW channels AT&T won't "own the world". Yes, I'd like HBO to return to DISH. While it certainly looks bad for a channel owned by AT&T|DIRECTV to be withheld from DISH, I can't say that an independent HBO would not make the same decision.

$5 HBO with DIRECTV NOW when HBO is sold separately for $15? Is that favoritism? Does any other carrier get that deal? If not, that sort of unfairness should end.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
  8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I would urge people who who are upset by this to actually read the Circuit Court's opinion. I have. AT&T has legally bound itself into what is calls "baseball style arbitration" in ANY dispute with ANY provider over ANY channel. "Baseball style arbitration" means total binding arbitration, meaning AT&T must accept and the provider must pay whatever the arbitrator says. No exceptions.

This merger is very good for consumers. Having the same company in the provider and producer is good.

Rich likes this.
  9. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    It's very good for AT&T and its shareholders... Not so much for those that don't want AT&T as their provider.

ericknolls likes this.
  10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Again, read the decision. Unlike every other vertical producer-provider (including the Great Satan, Comcast) AT&T is legally bound to "baseball style arbitration" with every provider.

AT&T is not going to use channel access to drive people to AT&T or DirecTV. It business model is the exact opposite, to make channel content everybody wants, and which they thus can sell to every provider. At a fair price, as determined by an impartial arbitrator if needed.

It is good to have companies be both producers and providers. It protects the consumer.

11. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    So you're saying that DTV and their subscribers won't get a better deal on HBO and TW content than anyone else? Really?

12. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Just a small quibble -- didn't say they would own the world, I said one step closer.

I also can't say that an independent HBO would have no incentive to not be on every platform it could.

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Not me. The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One step closer but still a million miles away? :)

If they feel that they can make more money being on less platforms they will go in that direction. That is the underlying thought in being a "premium" service. Instead of having a low price and regular tier placement they have chosen a higher price and a la carte placement. Pac-12 has made a similar decision to make more money on less platforms.

SamC likes this.
  15. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    I don't think it's unrealistic to expect DTV will get more favorable treatment from HBO and TW than competitors. The problem will be how to prove that to an arbitrator.

ericknolls likes this.
  16. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    The absence of AT&T-owned Home Box Office from Dish Network is no sad loss to me.;)

17. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    This might be our future with the disputes left and right with all carriers, the subscriber may be left to get their programing on their own as many of us have done with HBO and Univision. At least with streaming, the options are better. Used to be Dish/Direct/Cable would lose a channel, and unless we wanted to jump ship for another, we had to do without the channels. All services aren't available for streaming as yet, but it is on the way. I just hope high speed gets nationwide in time to cover everybody.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The channels are worth more to satellite/cable companies if the content isn't easily available elsewhere. When the channels stop being partners they are not as valuable. The channels are trading tier subscribers for intentional subscribers. Which means that they need to make more profit per subscriber off of a smaller subscriber base. It is a great deal for people who don't want the channels (and don't have to pay) but not so good for the people who do want the channel and end up paying more.

19. dstorm

dstorm AllStar

Mar 25, 2008
    I hope this is true, but if this is the case, when does HBO go to arbitration?

And a bigger question for us Dish customers: When does the carriage agreements for the Turner channels end? In the current environment I see little to no chance of TNT, TBS, CNN and the likes remaining on Dish now that they're owned by AT&T. I hope I'm wrong and would love it if arbitration help us keep some of the AT&T owned channels into the future.

By the way, HBO CEO and Turner president have both resigned today.

20. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Smells like "unfair" competition to me. Pay me what I want or out the door you go. Sound familiar? This is not AT&T's first rodeo show...