1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looks like Sony is getting into the RVU client game

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RAD, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/sony-kdl-50r550a/4505-6475_7-35561978.html

Well I hope the RVU part is correct since we knoe the part about DIRECTV not charging an additional fee is not.

2. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I know I saw something at work the other day about the PS3 getting a firmware update to make it RVU compatible. So yes, Sony is getting into the RVU game. I'm looking forward to some more market diversity.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unless Sony paid DirecTV money so that their equipment is not subject to the fee. Not that I think that's what happened.

Where we really need RVU are in small sets, like what someone would put in a bedroom and such.

Not seeing how RVU can be added to a current PS3 with just a firmware update and have it work with an HR34. Maybe something with the HR44?

4. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Well, I mean considering that RVU only needs an active network connection of some sort, I see no reason why not. If the PS3 has a DECA (like an RVU Client TV), then it's connected to the DECA cloud. Hell, throw in a CCK, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need the DECA. Unless I'm missing some huge part of the RVU picture.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Agree with that thought, just put the RVU client app in the store and let folks download it. The question I have is would DIRECTV require that they send someone out to install a DECA on the PS3 just like they do now for Samsung TV RVU clients?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Would a standard DECA not plugged into the coax work with a PS3? Obviously you'd need the power injector.

I'd imagine though that they'd have a different version.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don't see why it shouldn't. But if DIRECTV has any plans for a wireless RVU client so they can compete with AT&T they need to rethink this need a DECA requirement. If they think they can support wireless connections, which can be very unreliable for video streaming they need to let the consumer use their ethernet connections for RVU clients also. If folks are already connecting their Smart TV's to their networks why should they have to pay DIRECTV to come out and reconnect it to their network now all their other networking apps like NetFlix, Amazon, HuLu are not passing through the DECA cloud and could impact that networks performance.