1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looney Tunes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by CorpITGuy, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    Does anyone know where to find Looney Tunes on DirecTV? I love the old cartoons (is it just me, or are the newer ones really, really stupid?) and miss Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fud, etc. I've had no luck lately, though around Christmas someone did have a marathon of the old Merrie Melodies cartoons. We recorded every bit of it for my son to watch! (Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) :D

2. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    I think Cartoon Network runs some during the day. I know they run some of the old Tom and Jerry, and I think I remember seeing Loony Tunes as well somewhere in the lineup. They also sell the DVD collections on Amazon for pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    There is a major issue with the Looney Tunes cartoons as they are broadcast today... they have been sanitized!

They have been deliberately edited by the PC Police. You won't see Tweety stick Sylvester's tail in a electric socket.. heaven knows we don't want to give todays kiddies any bad ideas. Maybe it's me, but when I was a kid, I never had a problem seperating cartoon violence from reality. Of course I had parent's who taught me such things.

The only way to see the original unedited Looney Tunes cartoons is to buy them.

It's truly a sad state of affairs.

Kill the Wabbit!

Larry

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Yeah, I have all 6 sets of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections that were released along with the Looney Tunes Movies. I remember waking up early on Saturday Mornings as a kid and beyond to watch the Bugs Bunny Roadrunner show......until they quit airing them :)

5. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    Boomerang has some oldies

6. mgoblue99

mgoblue99 Legend

Dec 11, 2007
    As far as I know, with the exception of the Buggs Bunny movies and a recent New Years Day marathon on Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes are not currently on the air on any network's regular schedule.

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Turner Classic Movies showed some of them for a while in a half-hour block on Saturdays. These were not edited.

I'm not sure if they still show them, however.

8. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    It was a lot better when Nickelodeon had Looney Tunes...

Since they ended up at Cartoon Network/Boomerang, they completely screwed everything.

Half of the cartoons don't air anymore because of political correctness, including all Speedy cartoons. The irony is that back when the ban was reported in the news it was mentioned that Speedy continued to air on the Latin American version of Cartoon Network, where he was a "big hit."

The ones that do air have been edited like crazy. Some of my favorite episodes are no longer watchable because entire scenes were removed and others changed around. Even some MGM cartoons (Tom and Jerry, the Tex Avery ones, etc.) have been watered down.

I haven't watched CN or Boomerang in a long time now. I guess I can credit their ruining the Looney Tunes for finally breaking my cartoon habit.

9. BigJ52

BigJ52 Godfather

Jul 29, 2007
    Yes, I agree. I find today's cartoons are just brutal compared to what I grew up with (I'm 32 years old).

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am slowly getting the whole collection on dvd. I think this blurb from wikopedia explains why the kids channels don't run the cartoons. I can see one day when they may run them on adult swim or something uncut.

"a warning in the beginning of each disc that states that some of the cartoons contain ethnic and racial stereotypes that may be offensive to modern audiences; however, like the fourth volume, the warning is shown on a title card rather than done as a special introduction."

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I can understand why some of these cartoons aren't shown on kids channels anymore, but there are many, many of them that could still be shown with no editing necessary.

A few of them weren't even being shown due to racial content 40 years ago when I was a kid.

Purchasing them on DVD appears to be the way to go.

12. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    While I'm completely against the censorship of anything, at least for adults, my guess is that the popularity/lack of censorship of Speedy in Latin American countries compared to here is a.) He's basically the only Spanish Looney Tunes cartoon character b.) When you and everyone you know is Spanish, it's easier to recognized the exaggeration and comic absurdity of the stereotype.

13. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    What would be awesome is an HD release. Most of these cartoons were done with film. Seems like real HD should be possible.

Don't get Boomerang, but Cartoon Network had a Looney Tunes marathon New Years Day. Some were butchered, but others were OK. Still better than the junk on Nick, Cartoon, and Disney today.

Only one cartoon has been close to being a successor: Animaniacs. I wish I still got that. (The 90s Batman Animated Series was also brilliant, but not really comedy like Looney Tunes).

14. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Animaniacs is a classic, I have the 1st and 2nd set on DVD, great copy, and the extras are decent. Lead to one of the best spin off's ever. Are you poindering what I'm pondering Pinky????

15. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Actually, Speedy is extremely tame compared with the African-American characters in some of the cartoons.

They would make Jesse Helms' jaw drop.

16. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Do you have a link to where these are available? I have a 3 month old that I would like to start collecting the cartoons that I grew up on and my family grew up on. The crap that is on today is horrible

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I was thinking the same thing..

I am very surprised the PC Police have not yet demanded changes to MGM library because if this very issue. Plus, I don't think there is a Warner Brothers cartoon out there that can hold a candle to Tom & Jerry. Given Tom and Jerry do not use explosives but then again I don't think I have to worry about my 5 year old getting their hands on TNT either...

18. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks, everyone. I was afraid that the answer was "buy the DVDs." I guess that's just what I'll do.

The PC police had cartoons taken off-air that had racial stereotypes or gratuitous cartoon violence, but they're fine with dry-humping in prime-time. Amazing.

19. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Yeah, it's shocking that some people are more offended by racial discrimination and violence in programming aimed at children than they are by sexual situations in programming aimed at adults. What is the world coming to?

20. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    1. Aimed at adults? I said "prime-time" for a reason.

2. Racial stereotypes are different than discrimination.

3. Some violence is good. I honestly have no problem with my son watching violent movies so long as (a) he's old enough to process it and won't have nightmares and (b) he's old enough to understand that humans should rarely resort to violence, and under what circumstances we SHOULD.

I don't really have a problem with most prime-time TV, and don't want the government regulating it. I just find it ridiculous that the PC crowd accuses folks of trying to censor television when they are clearly doing it themselves.