1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

loosing swm channel on DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by blentz, Dec 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a DVr and have noticed that only one tuner was working.
    I went into sat setup and saw the warning message:

Only 1 SWM channel available

We used to have two tuners working on this DVR.

I will try to power cycle the SWM switch but i was curious, should i put the SWM switch on a timmer so that is auto-power cycles once a day?

What could cause the SWM channel to go missing?

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    How many receivers do you have and what receivers are they?

3. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    NO DO NOT PUT THE SWITCH ON A TIMER, leave it alone.

Go into sat setup and see if you have 2 tuners selected.

If you had two cables before and now have one, go look at the switch and see if both are connected. One of them may not be.

OR, you could remove the cable that is now connected and connect the other cable and see if you have a picture. This is a easy way to see if the cable is working.

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Any Dx or H2x (non-dvrs) consume 1 tuner.
    Any Rx or HR2x (dvrs) consume 2 tuners.

A SWiM lnb, or standard SWiM8 switch provides 8 tuners. If you're currently using 7 of those tuners before you connected this DVR, then that explains only having 1 available tuner, assuming that the switch is working correctly.

From what you said about it having 2 tuners available previously, as long as you haven't changed your setup at all, I'd say it's safe to assume that either the dvr's tuner is having issues or the SWiM switch (whether external, or integrated with the LNB) is having issues.