1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOS issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by scotto330, Sep 11, 2013.

1. scotto330

scotto330 New Member

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Hello All,

New to forum...I had an install scheduled for today, the guy came and said I have a LOS issue and that would require a second visit within 72hrs. to evaluate. I have a large tree 50ft behind my house. My thought was to install a pole mount 75-100ft out from the house where its an empty feild. what is the max distance I can run the cable to the receiver...what do I need, cable wise? Does it need to be encased in tubing when buried? I have already seen some pics on this site of guys cementing exhaust pipes into the ground to mount the dish.

Thanks in advance

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That should work - the installer will mount the dish and lay the cable on the ground - you can bury it anytime after - No extra charge -if you want it buried it's $1 a Ft

1 person likes this.
  3. scotto330

scotto330 New Member

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for the quick reply!!! Appreciate it.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is the empty field part of your lot?

Do you operate any heavy equipment in it?

Where is your electric meter in relationship to where you think the dish might be mounted?

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    IOW, have your utility runs surveyed before you dig!!

BZZZZTTHHPTH !!

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I am less concerned about other buried utilities (they're supposed to be at a much deeper depth) as I am that the TS owns the property they want to put the dish on and that they can get the cable to where it needs to go without having to circle the house.

Of course if you damage your cabling with a plow, tiller or a heavy vehicle, that can be a downer too.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    How many receivers are you planning on?
    how long is the cable inside the house?

100 feet to start might be too much, specially if you have more than 4 receivers.