1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing ground * WTF is D* doing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jorhett, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 27, 2007 #1 of 183
    jorhett

jorhett Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm sorry, but I've now missed 14 different shows on 7 different series links, and I'm getting pissed.

It's one thing for D* to be constantly evolving the product. But this is a huge step backwards. THIS IS THE PRIMARY THING WE CARE ABOUT.

I think D* needs to stop messing around with new features and start spending some time improving quality control on these units. The HR20 doesn't need new features, it needs to work properly.:mad:

2. Sep 27, 2007 #2 of 183
    rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Call up D*TV and get a new box. Going on 5 months now without missing a single recording (knock on wood). To be honest, I think that perfect record includes me manually setting up/fixing something twice. That's why a quick review of the To-Do list is a good idea.

3. Sep 27, 2007 #3 of 183
    NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    I have missed shows too, but if you look in your history, there is usually a reason for it.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #4 of 183
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    jorhett...

Would most definently need to see what the History is stating for them...

And 7 different series links, 14 shows?
    Something else is drastically is going on there.

As other then CHUCK this week (which is something realy goofy), I haven't missed a Series Link since the begining of the year.

5. Sep 27, 2007 #5 of 183
    tombet

tombet Legend

Sep 27, 2006
    I missed two this week - first time its happened to me for months - history for both said "due to an unexpected error. 3" However, I am running the newest CE release(x19e), not the national release.

6. Sep 27, 2007 #6 of 183
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I suspect something going on. The history is a good place to start. Also run a system test to see if both sat. tuners have recording enabled.

7. Sep 27, 2007 #7 of 183
    Rosenpants

Rosenpants New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I'm brand-new to this forum and have been watching it ever since I bought my new 50" panasonic plasma.

I haven't yet switched to HD DirecTV, but from all the problems I see people having on here, I'm very hesitant to switch from my old (series 1!) DirecTivo to the HR20.

Is making the change worth it? I assume the answer is "yes", but all the posts on here really have me concerned about quality. My old Tivo has been bulletproof under very heavy usage for many years.

8. Sep 27, 2007 #8 of 183
    ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007

just as well jump in the water...i was a little hesitant too..
    upgrading the hr10-250...
    but it is not as bad as it seems..

9. Sep 27, 2007 #9 of 183
    Mickey

Mickey Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    I was very hesitant also, but as ccr1958 said, it is not as bad as it seems. It takes a little getting used to to transition from the HR10-250, but I'm getting used to it quickly. And, I haven't lost any recordings yet after almost 2 weeks of use (not a long track record to be sure).

If you can get a deal on the HR20 using the methods posted here, there's no reason not to.

10. Sep 27, 2007 #10 of 183
    SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    I wouldn't worry too much about threads like this. I'm sure he has a problem, but it should not lead you to think all of the HR20s are problematic.
    The reality is forums are really meant for people with problems like this.
    Very few people write into forums just to say,
    "My box is perfect and I love it!"
    I was thinking the same thing as you when I shopped for my Samsung and read all sorts of horror stories on AVS forums.
    My TV is perfect, and so is my HR20 now.
    Early on (last Januarary) it wasn't but now it is.
    I would strongly advise you or anyone to make the move.
    And no I do not work for D*

11. Sep 27, 2007 #11 of 183
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    You're taking a big chance, but it might just pay off. I had a perfect TiVo and I upgraded to the HR20 a year ago. It was a complete disaster at first, missed recordings, lockups, you name it. I had to re-connect my TiVo to cover all the stuff the HR20 missed. Now, however, it is really pretty good, and if they can just get the CIR issue fixed, it actually surpasses good old TiVo. Of course, you might get a lemon, and then its nothing but problems.

12. Sep 27, 2007 #12 of 183
    waporvare

waporvare Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007

What does this mean?

I thought that was automatically set.

13. Sep 27, 2007 #13 of 183
    Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    People lucky enough to have working units always make that sound easy. Just call them up and get a new box... My HR-20 missed about 40% of my shows for 5 months and I called D* half a dozen times and they admitted it but refused to swap the box...

For whatever reason, my series links seem reliable now, but I have been there. They used to just skip shows all the time. And stubbornly. I would look at the to do list, see they weren't there, manually reinsert the episodes and have them drop off the list again...

14. Sep 27, 2007 #14 of 183
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    1. :welcome_s
    2. If you don't care about HD then there is no sense in upgrading. If you do care about HD then absolutley upgrade. The HR20 isn't perfect but it's not as bad as many people have made it out to be (or as it used to be) and all the new HD is really nice.

15. Sep 27, 2007 #15 of 183
    tombet

tombet Legend

Sep 27, 2006
    Rosenpants -
    My HR20 is not perfect, but I am very satisfied. It is MUCH more stable than when it released a year ago. I did have two missed shows this week ("error 3") and like so many others, a spontaneous reboot around 12:30am PST. But this is the only issue I've had in months. You didn't buy that beautiful Panasonic 50" Plasma to watch SD programming - its a no brainer for you to move to the HR20. It will make your new 50incher come alive. And though I missed my Tivo software for a month or two, now when I go back to the kids playroom with the old DirecTivo, I find the interface frustratingly slow and less powerful.

16. Sep 27, 2007 #16 of 183
    luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I bet the DirecTivo DIDN'T miss those 2 shows. Unacceptable that it still misses shows to this day. We have this "3" error not to mention the ever present error of "This show was cancelled because it became unavailable (13)". A DVR should record first and foremost. HR20 does not do this correctly...how long has it been? Why do people say, it's rock solid and I ONLY had to RBR once last month or it ONLY missed 2 shows this week? Mind Blowing...maybe mediocrity of the unit has made you numb to things that don't work and it's becoming acceptable for a DVR to not DVR right?!?

:nono:

17. Sep 27, 2007 #17 of 183
    dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    It should be, and there's no manual switch or place in the interface to change it.
    But, if you've got a cabling or multiswitch problem, and one tuner is not receiving a proper signal, it will "unset".

By going to the "INFO AND TEST" option under the main menu, you can run a system diagnostic. As you scroll down the results, it will show Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. If both say "Sat; Record" then it's OK. If one says just "SAT", there's a problem somewhere - cabling as mentioned above, or even a bad tuner in the unit.

Worth checking !

18. Sep 27, 2007 #18 of 183
    glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I'm not sure how D* is messing around with new features.

A year ago the box software was kinda screwed up but for me it's been working properly since January of this year.

19. Sep 27, 2007 #19 of 183
    Sah

Sah AllStar

Jul 16, 2006
    Unfortunately I think it's just hit and miss with the HR20. We've had ours for one year now, and have never had a missed recording, or any other problems for that matter. I really sympathize with those that do have problems, as there seem to be a fair number. But you generally only hear from people who are having problems, so just wanted to add my 2 cents on our positive experience.

20. Sep 27, 2007 #20 of 183
    Castlebill

Castlebill Legend

Jul 25, 2006
    I had 2 priority recordings canceled Tues. night. One said it was canceled because the channel was no longer available (6)- this was local CBS HD. The other said : This episode was canceled because of an unexpected error(3). Bothe recorded fine on my other HR20. I'm on 19e.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.