1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing signal on HDNet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by binkatl, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binkatl

binkatl AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    Hi all... today while watching Nothing but Trailers, I started getting really bad pixellation and loss of signal. After a little research, I found this site which tells me that this channel is on 119 Transponder 28 (sharing it with ESPN2HD and a DTV PPV channel). I switched to ESPN2HD, and I'm seeing the same signal drops. I checked my signal strength, and that transponder is bouncing between 45-75 signal strength on both tuners.

This is a week-old installation, upgraded from SD. It was a roof mounted installation, done by a D* install crew, and I followed them around the whole time. It seems like they did a good job all around, were very polite and answered all questions I had. Since it's so high up, I can't check it myself, but I have every reason to believe they did a good job. In fact they even removed my old dish for me, which wasn't required, stating it was a "pride in your work" thing, they didn't like leaving customers with a useless dish on their roof.

I've been watching these channels a LOT since my installation, and this is the first time I've seen any of this. Before an hour ago, the reception was pretty much perfect. Anyway... is anyone else seeing these signal drops, or is it something wrong with my installation? I hate to call them out again, hoping it might just be a temporary, system-wide glitch.

Any help appreciated...

- Blake

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    my signals are fine

3. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Sounds like a problem with your dish aiming (any storms/strong winds lately?). ESPN-HD & HDNet are both on DirecTV's 119 satellite. You may/probably need reaiming of your dish.

4. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    +1 in the Sacramento DMA. No issues.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Post the rest of your signal strengths, especially the other TP's on 119, that will help determine a cause.

6. binkatl

binkatl AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    Nope, no storms or wind at all. In fact, here in Atlanta we have been going through a severe drought... only weather considerations are that we have been over 100 degrees for several days now. In fact I think we are setting some heat records. But wind has been very slow or non existent, and no rain at all.

Like I said, this is a brand new installation, so I can't imagine it has already moved. Maybe it melted in the heat :/

Oh well, I guess I'll be making a call to D* to have someone come out and check.

Thanks,
    - Blake

7. binkatl

binkatl AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    Ok, here's what I get on everything (just for completeness):
    95 97 95 93 95 98 95 98
    95 99 93 87 95 100 95 100
    94 97 93 89 95 100 94 100
    88 99 86 84 94 100 88 100

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA 87
    NA 92 NA 88 NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA 76 0 75
    0 77 82 76 0 77 0 77

99b
    0 0 53 0 45 0 NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

103a
    82 0 83 0 82 0 NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    0 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

So at the time I took this sample, TP 28 on 119 was at 76. If I go to the display meters to show a constant sampling, it is now sitting at around 73-75 on both tuners. But it was dropping down as low as 45 before.

There have been a very few light clouds today, more than in previous days (this heat wave has brought very little cloud cover). I'm hoping these channels aren't so sensitive that such a light cloud cover causes signals to drop that much. I can understand if it's a thunderstorm, but this is just the slightest amount of clouds.

Does any of this info give you any ideas? Or should I just schedule an appointment?

- Blake

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Your readings on 119-deg W are bit weak compared to the other satellites. Could something be partially blocking your dish's view of that satellite? Since its signals are weaker, it's more likely to be affected by rain.

9. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    Same thing happened to me about two months ago. It was a branch that had grown. Are you sure you have a clean line of sight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.