Losing signal to genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by repoman75, May 13, 2019.

1. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    So I have the genie system, and one of my genie's (not the main DVR) has begun to lose its signal. It is not on wifi, it is plugged into a coax.

Now, the only thing has changed is that a few months ago, I had a an electrician come in and extend the Dtv coax from the wall, farther along the wall (since I was hiding the wire since I was mounting a TV). The electrician said he heard of instances where the Dtv connection signal does get lost when the wiring is not done by Dtv - not sure why though?

Anyway, any idea on what may be causing this? It's sporadic, but basically, the box will turn on, yellow light, and then the Dtv screen will say "Connecting" or "Signal lost" or "No connection found". And there are no lose connections. Just wondering if the genie is shot, or if I may have a wiring issue.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a System Test. Also, please provide model numbers of your DIRECTV equipment.

3. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    How do I do a system test? Something on the menu?

Oh and I don't think it's the genie mini as I swapped out another one from the house and same thing happened.

I have the HR44.

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Using your DIRECTV remote press MENU, scroll down to Info & Test and select. Then select Run System Test.

5. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Ok will give it a try when I get home.

And assume it comes back everything a ok?

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not necessarily, you'll still have to trouble shoot and discover what's causing your signal loss.

7. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    That's what I meant. Assuming it says there is nothing wrong, then what?

8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Have you seen any Error Codes on your TV screen when you experience the signal loss?

9. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    No codes, no. Just the "Signal is lost" or "There is no connection" but there are no codes. The same error messages you would get if you pulled out the coax. I'm thinking it's a wiring issue but since the wiring is now hidden in the walls, not sure how Dtv is going to inspect and fix. Might have to go wireless genie.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png

11. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    That's what I feared.. the cable.

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your electrician may have damaged the cable when he did the work.

13. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Maybe, but the work was done before Xmas... and this problem just started happening.

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    How many clients are you using?

15. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    I have the main+3 +one additional wireless - I understand that's one too many but usually if there's an issue when they are all on (rare), you get that message that one has to tune to another station.

16. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Swap the location of the client that's having the issue with another client. If the issue still occurs with the troubled client at it's new location then the client is not working properly. If the issue remains at the original location then the issue is most likely with the cable at that location.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Read post #3 of this thread.

Rich