1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Andrew Sullivan, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    This is a new problem that I have not experienced before. My screen will suddenly freeze then it goes blue with a message that DirecTV is connecting. This is happening a couple of times a week for the last three weeks or so. checked signal strength and tuners. All looks good. A tech was out a month ago and replaced my HS17 and checked all connections including at the dish itself. This is one more problem to ad to my stuttering sound problem.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What client?

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    His profile shows he has a C61K.

4. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Yes it is a c61k. I unplugged it and plugged hour ago and so far so good for connecting to DirecTV situation. I have Pretty much given up on the sound stuttering problem.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do remember your problem, don't remember the make and model of the TV set. Is it a Samsung? Reason I ask is I have a Samsung JS8500 that has the same problem. Does it on D* and other sources. Gets really nasty when using an ATV. I had the One Connect Box (OCB) replaced a few weeks ago and the problem seemed to go away...naturally it came back but it's not as bad as it was. I can usually stop the audio breakups by shutting the TV set off and turning it back on. I have no idea if this is what you are seeing. The audio breaking up on that set makes it impossible to watch.

Best question I can think of: Do you have other sources besides D*? Do you see the stuttering on just D* content? Live and recorded?

Rich

6. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Yes Rich it is a Samsung 82NU8000. I do not have this stuttering sound problem with any other source. Only with "D". No Amazon, no Netflix.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    On my JS8500 I see the stuttering when using my ATV. Don't see the problem on AP or D*. I did have the OCB replaced and that did help. Not sure if what I am seeing know occasionally is caused by the OCB or the TV set itself. Before I had the OCB replaced the audio was so bad it was impossible to watch anything. I did try several ATVs and saw the same thing on each one. Made me pretty sure the ATVs were not at fault. I did see issues on other sources at that time. Now I only see it briefly and it's alway when using an ATV.

Seems kinda similar, no? I don't know what to do. The sets are all covered by the top tier PP and if the thing is shot it will be replaced. But the set would have to sit in a repair shop and run continuously so that they can see the problem. Might sit there for weeks, it's really intermittent now. I do have a 4K set I can use in that room if I have to send it out...kind of plan, hadn't given it a thought.

We have four 4K TVs, all have 4K ATVs. Only the 8500 has this problem, again, I don't think I can blame the ATVs.

Simply put, it might be your TV set, Andrew. Or not.

Rich

8. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Back to the original problem. Three times this morning the picture froze then the DirecTV Connecting message came on the screen. When the replaced the c61k a few weeks ago he checked all connections including at the dish. I also did the same check earlier. This whole situation is getting frustrating.

9. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    The tech just left. The signal rebooted while he was looking at the TV. He replaced the c61k and so far so good.

Rich likes this.
  10. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    It's still happening. Very frustrating

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    HOW IS THE C61K CONNECTED TO THE TV ?
    Do you have a surround sound system ? If yes, is the HDMI from the c61k running to it and then an HDMI from the surround sound system to the TV ? If yes, try eliminating the surround sound system and go straight from the c61k to the TV. You can then use an optical cable to the surround sound system for sound.

12. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I am running directly to the TV and using a optical cable. The techs suggestion is to eliminate the c61k and swap it with the c61 I am using in a bedroom. I already knew that this would probably solve the problem and I will most likely do that. It just bothers me that this is the suggested fix.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you go to a c61 you will lose the access to 4k.
    What I suggested was not a solution, just a workaround until they figure out what the heck is going on and fix it.
    And, evidently in your case it does not help at all.

14. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    The question for a few months Has Been do I want to give up the 4k channels. Naturally I do not but the reboot problem along with a sound stutter problem is making it difficult to watch both live as well as recorded TV. And I watch a whole lot of TV. Mostly record nature stuff on 104 and the occasional sporting event on 106 so I may just have to give those channels up. Watching a football game on Sunday the old box rebooted itself 6 times in 30 minutes.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Frustration aside, this answers some questions. In post #12 you wrote:

"The techs suggestion is to eliminate the c61k and swap it with the c61 I am using in a bedroom. I already knew that this would probably solve the problem and I will most likely do that. It just bothers me that this is the suggested fix."

If you use the C61 you will not have the problem? Have you done that?

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you have any other boxes hooked up to the Samsung TV set? Another source? Do you see the problem when using other sources?

Rich

17. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Today I will swap the main TV's c61k for the bedrooms c61. I know that this wwill correct the problem but I will be giving up the three 4k channels. So a major selling point in my case, 4k, is no longer a selling point, (keeping DirecTV), is no longer viable. In my opinion this really makes DirecTV look bad. At least to me it does.

jimmie57 likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you think every/any C61K you put on that TV set will have the same problem?

Rich

19. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Difficult to say Rich. I started having stuttering problems in January of this year. Live or recorded. If I hit the pause button the problem went away for awhile. I could not repeat the problem by rewinding and playing it back again. Tech services told me it was a software problem and that it would be fixed in June, then July, then August. Then the signal Loss problem started. Replaced the HS17, then replaced the c61k. The problem improved but was still there. I replaced the c61k with my c61 and have experienced no more problems. During this time I've had four different TV'S. Sammy 75NU8000, Vizio P75, Sammy 82NU8000 (cracked screen), another and current Sammy 82NU8000.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From all that I read it appears to me that the c61k clients are just flawed. Think of it, doesn't the c61 run the same software as the c61k ?