Loss of audio after Local Commercials

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rob37, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    So it is going on 3 weeks now that I had Genie Receivers installed. These new receivers have the capability now from what I understand & have experienced to air local commercials. I am losing audio when the channel goes back to the channels programming. The only way possible to get audio back is to change the channel, then change back. Is anyone else experiencing this? If this does this all of the time, I am not going to want this. This is pure B.S.

2. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Let me clarify a little better. What is happening is whenever say I am watching ESPN And they go to commercial break, I had 2 "Local Commercials" air. After those commercials are over & it returns to ESPN, I lose audio and the only way the audio comes back is to change the channel & then go back to ESPN. Anyone know why the heck this might be happening & how to stop it?

3. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    You can-NOT have MORE than (1) Genie Receiver per account. (You may have "mini" Genie's, BUT they are NOT Receivers) They are just slaves to the MAIN Genie.
    If they are wire-LESS, this may be your problem. Anything can get in the path of wire-LESS transmissions. Slow Sound, delayed picture, commands, etc. Maybe you should consider getting "HARD-WIRED" mini genie's.
    Why do you like "Local Commercials" ?? Most people use a DVR to skip/Fast Forward thru them.

4. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Ok Smarty Pants. I am NEW to the Genie. They are WIRED Genie Mini’s and NOT WIRELESS!

5. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    My Main BIG Genie is in the Living Room and the 3 other "Clients" as they call them now instead of Receivers are ACTING UP when Local Commercials Air.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I though all the issues with local commercials were resolved months ago but maybe not.
    Go into setup in the menu on each box and set native to "off", and uncheck all the resolutions except 1080i. Post back with the results.

7. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Ok I turned Native to Off & unchecked all resolutions accept for 1080i & 1080p. But why would this have anything to do with audio? Channels like ESPN, ABC, & FOX & FOX Sports Channels all broadcast I thought in 720p. So if I uncheck the 720p Resolution it won’t show those channels in their Native Broadcast? Am I correct? I thought that was why my tv supported all those resolutions so it could broadcast in the programs original Native Broadcast.?? Or am I confused?

8. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Ok that did not work for me. I lost Audio watching SportsCenter just now when they came back from commercial.

9. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Hate to say it but that little theory just got shot down. I didn’t think that TV Resolutions had anything to do with audio.

10. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I remember a similar issue a couple of years back when D* would insert its own commercials into a show which were SD commercials, and when you went back to your show it was now also in SD. You had to navigate away from the channel\recording and then go back to it to get back to HD. D* fixed that issue with a software upgrade. It sounds like they have a hybrid of that issue.

11. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    The problem with local commercials seems to come and go but has never been completely fixed.

12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The Directv inserted commercials are 1080i. I have seen that the local ones are, too. If native is on, you will see the indicator light on the front change if you're watching ESPN. I used to be an avid supporter of native on, but it gets annoying when resolutions change. That has occasionally caused my audio to do as you described. I use Dolby Digital, if that matters.

I will only use native on for events like the Super Bowl or a Big East basketball game, if it's on Fox or a big ACC game on ESPN. Otherwise, I get sick of the TV screen going black when it goes back and forth between 720 and 1080 and the audio issues after the switch. Now I have native off and only 1080i and 1080p checked. That makes it easier to fix SD aspect issues without the resolution changing. It will not show Fox/ESPN in 720p, but, unless you have a huge TV, the difference is hard to see.

Check out The Dan Patrick Show one morning on the two channels it is on. It's 720p on Audience but 1080i on NBCSN. Can you tell the difference?

Directv receivers can be flukey like this, at least you never had an HR34.

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Also, are you familiar with, and/or done a CLEARMYBOX search to "clean out" your receiver?

14. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Yes I am very well familiar with the "clear my box" deal. This is an audio issue.

15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    if you put spaces, I don't think you know...

Do a smart search for CLEARMYBOX as if it was a TV show.
    Press the red button.
    It will tell you that it didn't find anything. Wait 10 seconds.
    It will restart and completely reset everything. This has fixed everything from on demand not working, Internet connectivity, other instances of similar glitches. It is definitely worth a shot.

16. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Sir. You are typing to me like I am clueless. I already know about Menu, Search, the typing in "CLEARMYBOX" I’ve known about it for a long time. Please. Your idea about turning all my resolutions off didn’t work. I may have to call if the problem keeps up!

17. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I am curious about this. What version of firmware do you have on the Genie and on the mini's? Thanks.

18. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    When you say firmware I am assuming you mean software?
    The Software on my Main Genie in the Living Room has 0xba9
    The Software on my 3 Clients has 0x8a7

19. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This is certainly an interesting thread.

For the boxes experiencing the problems, are any of the HDMI connections going through AV receivers or just directly connected to the TV HDMI input?

Also can you list the Genie model number HR34/44/54/H44?
    What are the mini's model numbers (C31/41/51/61K/)?

Which unit(s) have the issues ? All of them?

20. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    ESPN Channel 206 is the channel it does this on. It just did it on a tv that is hooked up to a different Genie Mini. Everytime the 2 "Local Commercials" air...when it goes back to ESPN Programming, AUDIO is gone. The only way to get Audio (sound) again is to change the channel & switch back to 206.