Lost all my show record settings.. OUCH!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by melcrose, Apr 21, 2009.

1. melcrose

melcrose New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Does this happen often? I've only been with DTV a few months, I had dish for years before that. I lived off my DVR, I would never ever watch "live" TV.. and now.. everything is gone. I have all my past recordings, but all future show recordings are blank. Is this normal? Does this happen often?
    If it does, I could see myself rapidly NOT becoming a fan of DirectTV. Too bad I can't "backup" my recordings over the internet, I have it connected.

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The To Do list is built and maintained by the guide data. If for some reason your box has reset due to a power outage or something, it will take up to 24 hrs for the guide data and To Do list to rebuild.

This is normally where I suggest a battery backup for the dvr and risk a debate.

Check your Prioritizer. All your saved SL's should be intact.

3. melcrose

melcrose New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I don't know what an SL is, but that is what I'm saying: ALL my shows were gone from the prioritizer, except "Wizards of Waverly place" (what a show to keep!) :)

4. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    SL=Series Link

5. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    Are you sure someone didn't mess around with your settings? I've been with DirecTV for almost 5 years and I've never heard of that happening spontaneously. I've heard of a few problems when people were using Cutting Edge releases (beta software)...

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I've had it happen a couple times.
    Usually after getting a new software release.

Reset fixes it, but it does take a while for everything to come back.

phox

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This sounds like an HD DVR issue so I'm moving it there. If this is about an SD DVR, please let me know.

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Occasionally, due to a power glitch or powering the DVR down while it is doing something can "corrupt" one or more of the files. I've had this happen in the past to my R15's and R22 (which is essentially an HR21 with HD disabled).

What you will get is a prompt to do the satellite setup again or your prioritizer/TO DO/Favorite List entries will just seem to be back to the default settings.

If this happens more than once, you either have a problem with your DVR (perhaps the HDD) or you have power glitches or voltage dips. Like another poster suggested, if retention of your recordings/settings is of utmost importance to you, the investment in a computer-type UPS would be a wise choice, since the DVR is really a computer dedicated to one function.

9. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I don't see how anyone could debate against a battery backup.

10. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Believe me. It gets ugly here sometimes.:lol: :beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse:

11. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I've had my DVR's on them since I got my first DVR.

phox