Lost HD-DVR - Options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Beerstalker, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have an old HR21 HD-DVR on my account. I used it in my basement at my old house, but since I moved in August 2018 I haven't had a TV set up to use it on. It sat in storage until I took it with me to my hunting cabin in November 2018. We used it there during hunting season and I brought it home with me and put it back in storage.

November 2019 I went to get it out of storage to take back to my hunting cabin again and could not find it. I have been looking for it since all over my house, and at my parent's house and can not find it.

I now have set up a TV in my office that I could use this on, and figure since I am paying for it I might as well use it there, but I still can't find it.

What are my options here? If I call and tell DirecTV that it is dead I figure they will send me a replacment HD-DVR, but will they want me to send back the HR21, or at least the card out of it? Obviously I can't send either since I am unable to find it. Do I just explain what happened, and see if they will send me a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Call in and Say -It's Dead and will not power on -They will send a replacement and Will NOT ask for the HR21 Back -- Just have the RID # of the Hr21 to verify they remove that they remove the correct unit.

3. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    Call em and tell em there was a break in and you want a replacement for your 21, I know they are still activating them, and if they cant send you a 21, they will send you a 24.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The last time I had an HR21 replaced they mailed me an HR24 and did not want the HR21 back so I recycled it at Best Buy. However, they did make me take the old access card out and mail that back. Are you saying they aren't asking for the old access cards back anymore?

5. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    AFAIK they still request the access cards back. Any SD boxes they say can be disposed of, they just want the cards.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I Replaced a H21 last September and they DID NOT request the Card Back or the Box -Then Sent me a Email saying that I did not need to return the box -they replaced it with a H24

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They may ask for the access card back but I haven't heard of anyone being penalized for not sending it back. If they question you about it just say "I mailed the access card" and they'll probably drop it. They don't really care about them.

WestDC likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right. It's always been like that. They ask for the cards but if you don't send them you hear nothing.

Rich

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks again for all your input. I ended up chatting with a CST last week and they shipped me a HR24-500. Told me to recycle my HR21 and didn't say a thing about the access card.

Now I just need to get the coax and ethernet runs done. I forgot that the coax run to the office is currently being used by the cable modem. So I need to move the cable modem to the basement utility room and switch that coax over to DirecTV, and then finish the ethernet run to the office. The ethernet is already fished thru the wall and hooked up to the Cat6 jack in the office, but my spool of cable is sitting in the storage room under the office waiting to be strung over to the utility room.

Then the real kicker is I forgot that I don't have a power outlet in the utility room where I plan to install all this. So I need to remove some shelves, pull a sheet of drywall, and install a new outlet. Luckily there is already an outlet on the other side of that wall I should be able to tap into. This is why I hadn't bothered to move the modem and router yet as it was, ha ha ha.