1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost sats, can't access recordings. Help, Mr. Wizard!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TomCat, Apr 21, 2012.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I decided to move a HR20 from one shelf to another. That turned out to be a bad move. I have lost the signal completely. I did a menu reset and pulled the power just after the front-panel light went out, disconnected everything, reconnected everything, and was then treated to hours of no signs of life other than a dim led on the left-most button.

I unplugged for a day and it eventually came up, unable to find anything. The menu has just one entry in it and the date has defaulted to 12/31. This unit had done much the same thing before, months ago, and I tried a forced download 0-2-4-6-8, which cured the issue. This time it can't see the sats to even get a download.

I have tried reconfiguring, removing BBCs, replacing BBCs, etc. The other DVRs on the same switch have no issues.

I have come to the point of accepting that there is no hope of ever recording on this unit again, but what would be nice is if it would let me get to the recordings for playback, but it is stuck on the "Advanced Program Guide Data" page at 0%.

All I can say is its a good thing I double-record everything.

Is there a back-door menu code or sone other hat trick that will get this POS off of the APGD page and let me at the 400 hours of recordings? Or is it simply "buh-bye" time for the old girl?!pusht!!pusht!!pusht!

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Looks like symptoms of a bad hard drive!!!

Have you tried a Second Reboot within 30 minutes of the First Reboot???

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try swapping this "bad" DVR with one of your good DVRs. Does the problem follow the "bad" DVR, or stay in its room?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nay, he wouldn't see APG DL page then. It would stop before that.

Well, I would check signal on the coax first, then start thinking about internal guts.
    Inside of the box there are three tuners - one (dedicated) for Ku sat for APG download and universal Ku/Ka dual tuner can. If all of them down, it could many reasons - power rails are first check, then signaling ... A lot of work for professional without schematics.
    It would beneficial obtain log data, but it would require to connect TTL UART convertor and use COM port on your PC.

5. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Thanks, guys.

I have given up, and I called to get a replacement. I tried everything mentioned here first, along with a lot of other voodoo, but no dice. The fact that the menu has only one listing and everything else works except being able to see the sats makes me think this unit is too far gone. It also claims that it is Friday, 12/31, and that the time is off by 3 hours. I eliminated everything external to the unit, and even tried booting with a new external drive.

The problem there is that rebooting sends it into that sleep mode which takes a day of being unplugged to fix. There is just too much wrong with this thing to try to save it.

I did figure out how to get to the recordings, however, which was to simply press "Exit" (duh!). I had two shows not copied on other DVRs that I dubbed to my DVDR.

The CSR claims he hasn't seen anything quite like this. I was nice to him, but I whined just a bit about the state of non-recoverable recordings, and he gave me a month of ShowTime (which I disconnected for lack of content a month ago), so that was nice.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Are you sure your multi-switches or SWMs were powered up? I lost the power on one phase in my home yesterday, one of my SWMs was powered off and that resulted in 771s.

Rich

7. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Rich, I wondered that myself. I had a PI-29 overheating and it caused 771 messages.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't know how many PIs I have, but if one gets unplugged, I do see 771s on some HRs. A rarity for them to get unplugged.

Rich

9. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    One MS, no SWM; passive unpowered

So, I am sure it was NOT powered up.:)